Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hawk19
Channel Surfer

TVEars soundbar with ear phones...

I have a TVEars sound bar (with earphones as well, an excellent system), which is connected to the Audio Optical Out jack. We were previously able to control the soundbar with our Roku enhanced remote.   We unplugged the tv and sound bar while on vacation and sadly, after repowering everything again, the remote won't control the volume, or mute the bar. There is sound from the bar, and it can be controlled with the bar's remote. However...we'd like to use the Roku remote as before for volume control. I've power cycled both the tv and sound bar, reconnected the Audio Opt jack to no avail... any suggestions? Thanks, Ed

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: TVEars soundbar with ear phones...

Is this a Roku TV or a Roku device? What is the model number?

0 Kudos
Hawk19
Channel Surfer

Hi Sue... it's a TCL Roku TV, 50S423.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

I own two TCL Roku TVs and they only come with a simple IR remote that doesn’t even have a mute button. Did you upgrade your remote? You can try going into your settings and refresh the CEC devices. After that completely restart your Roku TV. That doesn’t mean turn it on then turn it off you have to go into system power and restart

0 Kudos
Hawk19
Channel Surfer

I upgraded the remote last year and it has a mute button.  Couldn't live without that!  I'll try the system restart as long as it doesn't delete anything (?).  The soundbar is apparently not a CEC device.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

My bad CEC devices are hooked into HDMI port I reread what you wrote and you’re using an optical cable so ignore what I wrote. As far as I know the only way you can control the volume is if you’re using an HDMI cable not an optical cable. But previously you were able to turn your volume up and down even when it was plugged in with an optical cable? Does it work with your originally Remote?

0 Kudos
Hawk19
Channel Surfer

Nope... restarting the system didn't change anything...

0 Kudos
Hawk19
Channel Surfer

Yes, this newer remote controlled the bar!

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Have you tried repairing the remote? were you able to control the volume with your original remote that came with your TV? Do you have it? There’s never any need to unplug a TV or any electronic device when going on vacation as long as it’s plugged into a surge protector. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208755708#:~:text=Remove%20the%20power%20cable%20from,removing%20an....

0 Kudos