Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Briny_S
Reel Rookie

TV is not connecting to wifi when turned on

I am having Sharp Roku Tv and suddenly it stopped connecting to my wifi router through a wireless connection every time I turn it on. Before its automatically connect with wifi. It’s become a hassle to manually go to the menu to check its wireless connection to connect it, is there a fix for this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
greg6363
Reel Rookie

Re: TV is not connecting to wifi when turned on

I am having the same issue with my TCL Smart TV.  When I turned on the TV after returning from a week long trip, it was not connected to the internet.  Even worse, the TV won't connect to the internet when I attempt to perform the wireless scan even when I know the connection is present since my laptop is able to connect.  All I see is the continuous hour glass circle with the message "Looking for Wireless Networks...."

0 Kudos
Briny_S
Reel Rookie

So is it still not working for you?

In my case I am not sure that the fault is in my TV or in my router. But it's still a problem for me.

0 Kudos
greg6363
Reel Rookie

I’m still having the problem re-establishing the internet connection on my TCL Smart TV. My other connections such as phone, laptop, etc are fine. Strange.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @Briny_S @greg6363

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

For us to isolate the issue, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Internet service provider
-Router make & model (usually can be found at the back or underneath the router itself. Contact your ISP if you can't locate it)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Additional resources you might find helpful:

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
greg6363
Reel Rookie

Roku Account:  [personal information]

Roku TV: C147X

TCL Model: 55S20

Serial Number: X00000RRCK52

Software version: 10.0.0 (build 4209-93)

Device ID: S04KH08RCK52

Tracker ID: 52-303-286

Internet Service Provider: T-Mobile Home Internet

Router make and model: T-Mobile Model TM-RTL0102

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:  >Settings >Network >Set up connection > Wireless >>brings up wireless scan screen which states "Looking for wireless networks" (hour glass circle turns but produces no connections)

0 Kudos
FLflowers

Yesterday this started happening to me, too. Out if no where. My router/internet is fine - it’s the Roku only that wont stay connected, and it spread i to my iPhone as well through the Roku app - my viewing is constantly being interrupted, every 5-15 minutes it will lose it’s connection and when I try to reconnect, it isn’t detecting my network. It detects all of my surrounding neighbors’ networks, though. Must’ve done this to me a dozen times or so yesterday, and started up again immediately this morning. Super-aggravated right now.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@greg6363

I apologize for the delay in response.

Try connecting your Roku TV  to a mobile hotspot and see if it will be able to detect it. Moreover, have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

You can reach TCL Support here: https://support.tcl.com/us or at 1-877-300-8837.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @FLflowers

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator