Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfriend846

TV headphones do not work when streaming from Roku Soundbar

We just hooked up the Roku Soundbar to our Sony tv using the HDMI ARC input. It is working well with one difficulty: my wife is hard of hearing and uses a small rf speaker whose sound is transmitted from the tv's headphone jack (our tv allows sound from its speakers, bluetooth and headphone simultaneously). This works fine with the tv's tuner, our TiVo or a Roku Steaming Stick but not with the Soundbar's internal Roku player. I believe this is a design issue due to the Soundbar not sending sound to the television (since the sound is coming from the Soundbar). My question is whether there is a setting that I have missed or if the optical cable will correct this issue. If not I plan to go back to the Streaming Stick and use an alternate soundbar like Bose or Sonos. 

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: TV headphones do not work when streaming from Roku Soundbar

@dfriend846

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that when connect a Roku Soundbar to your TV, it will disable the audio coming from your TV, this includes any external audio devices you have connected.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Quilty

Wish I would have known this issue . I would have never purchased it because wife needs headset.

0 Kudos
rmderr
Reel Rookie

I agree.  Just purchased the Roku Streambar and have not been able to connect headphones without muting TV.  Now find out it cannot be connected without muting TV.  I would have never purchased if I had known in advance.  Returning to Home Depot tomorrow.

Poppibob

Thoth304
Reel Rookie

Hi,

I want to understand if I am having the same issue as you. I have wireless Sennheiser headphones that are not working with my new Roku Sound bar. Does that mean my TV wireless headphones will never work with it? They worked with the regular Ruko just fine. 

0 Kudos
rmderr
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately that is what I found out. The Sennheiser headphones would not work with the soundbar but do work with my Roku.  I returned the soundbar. 

0 Kudos