Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TV connects without prompts for hotel/dorm so there's no internet

Hello and thank you for your help, this is extremely hard to figure out.

When I took my tv out of the box I set it up then attempted to connect to Xfinitywifi. It took about an hour of getting the right timing but I finally did it. I do want to make note that the reason it took so long, was because it wouldn't always show the option of "home vs hotel/dorm". Sometimes it would just fail. It would often just fail. 

After a month, one day out of nowhere, there was no download speeds (error 018). I network reset (bracing myself for another hour) and when I tried to set up xfinitywifi again, it connected first try. Two green checks but the problem is, still no download speeds. 

I have done everything to this tv at this point. It's been factory reset more times than I can count, I've even played with the secret menus. Nothing, absolutely nothing has changed what happens when I set up xfinitywifi wifi. Two green checks but no internet.

How do I get the "hote/dorms" prompt to pop up again? Why isnt my tv recognizing that xfinitywifi needs log in credentials. 

Also, there used to be a direct roku wifi that would pop up on my phone when attempting to connect to xfinitywifi wifi that's no longer there. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: TV connects without prompts for hotel/dorm so there's no internet

There's a setting on the Roku that must be enabled for hotel/dorm to appear. I'm not at home so can't look at the device, so from memory I believe it's something to do with allowing other devices to connect. It has to be set to either Allow or Prompt. If it's on Deny, the hotel/dorm function isn't available. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hey thank you for your response. I know what you're talking about, that setting is on. I've toggled it and even tried disabling the internet pings in the secret menu but nothing makes the "hotel/dorm" prompt come up for xfinitywifi. Since it's a tv I can't actually bring it to a hotel to find out if it is just xfinitywifi. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Push the tiny reset button on back of your Roku box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Xfinity wifi on Roku TV

I activated my Roku (TCL) tv before moving. Now that I’ve moved I have to wait for my cable to be set up again. I an getting a new modem, but still have an xfinity account. I can login to xfinity by using my email/pw since its in my building on every electronic device. Yet on my tv after pressing hotel/dorm it will let the window pop up but wont let me enter before closing out. 

help??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Xfinity wifi on Roku TV

@Bella19 wrote:

I activated my Roku (TCL) tv before moving. Now that I’ve moved I have to wait for my cable to be set up again. I an getting a new modem, but still have an xfinity account. I can login to xfinity by using my email/pw since its in my building on every electronic device. Yet on my tv after pressing hotel/dorm it will let the window pop up but wont let me enter before closing out. 

help??

I had that problem when using an iPad to make the hotel credential entries. What solved it for me was switching to my laptop. I can't explain why, but it worked first time after attempting the iPad almost a dozen times. I haven't had a trip since then to see if it would repeat the same behavior. My last trip had wired Internet in the room, so I just used my travel router. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

I am exactly in your same position. I have tried everything including the secret menus. We’re you using an apple or android system to try and authenticate? If I keep reconnecting multiple time to the Xfinitywifi then I can get the college or hotel screen to come up. Also you need to make sure that no devices are connected to the Roku WiFi. 

well anyhow I took some advice from a different column and used an android device and I’ll be dang it connected and pulled up the Xfinitywifi login page.....but sadly 10 seconds into my login it disappeared and acted as though it was connected.

i am beyond frustrated at this point

0 Kudos