Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: TV Volume after an overnight system update

Thanks.  I've filed a ticket with CS.  We'll see what they say.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
roquoonewbie
Level 9

Thank you. To the extent this was an overlooked issue and you are seeking feedback, the logical desired behavior would be to return the tv to the same state it was in prior to the update.

Ie: power state, running app, running screensaver should be saved off before the update and reinstated after the update.
0 Kudos
roquoonewbie
Level 9

Any update or feedback on this?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I haven't heard anything about it, but I'll try to poke a few people tonight/tomorrow afternoon.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 10

So if you have a Roku TV you could be watching a DVD player on another input but that will be interrupted because Roku forces an update that shuts your TV off? Or if it's off the update turns the TV on with loud volume? Just more info to help me decide to never buy a Roku TV!
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"Emissary35" wrote:
So if you have a Roku TV you could be watching a DVD player on another input but that will be interrupted because Roku forces an update that shuts your TV off? Or if it's off the update turns the TV on with loud volume? Just more info to help me decide to never buy a Roku TV!

To be honest, I haven't seen this behavior before on my Roku 4kTV.  When I asked members of the CS and Social Teams, they hadn't seen any issues like this either, which is why I filed the bug.  But I don't have an AVR or other peripherals involved in my setup, other than a PS3 connected to the TV, along with a Roku 4 for testing purposes, and although I don't watch that TV regularly, my son has never reported an issue like this (he's a FABULOUS beta tester, because he immediately alerts me when something's not working!  He's even caught a few bugs before the beta testers did!!!!)  Nothing has ever interrupted his viewing experience, except for the occasional internet outage.

[Edited to note:] And to be brutally honest, I actually experience fewer issues with RokuTV than any other STB I have in my environment.  Most of my units are on production firmware, with a few on Beta for testing purposes.  Most are on my 5GHz network, and a few are on the 2GHz network, depending on distance.  Router in my office; living room TV/Roku4 ~100ft away (2.5GHz).  Bedroom Rokus about 20ft away (5GHz).  Latest products in my office next to the router (again, 5GHz).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
roquoonewbie
Level 9

I never indicated the udpate interrupted my viewing experience.  To the contrary, it interrupts my sleep.

So what is the intended/expected behavior after a firmware update?

After the update, is it expected to turn the TV on?  And if so, does the TV do it's default action of tuning to the last hdmi input it was connected to, as specified in it's power settings?

If not, then what is it intended to do?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"roquoonewbie" wrote:
I never indicated the udpate interrupted my viewing experience.  To the contrary, it interrupts my sleep.

So what is the intended/expected behavior after a firmware update?

After the update, is it expected to turn the TV on?  And if so, does the TV do it's default action of tuning to the last hdmi input it was connected to, as specified in it's power settings?

If not, then what is it intended to do?

I believe the behavior is that it shouldn't.  The comments from social were mainly focused on how you ended your viewing session (ie, were you still on the cable box input).  Until we get more information, it would probably be a good idea to default to the home screen to prevent it.

Personally, I don't think that's intended behavior during an update, but I still have to wait for word on those in the know.  I'm hoping it's just a minor bug.  If it's expected behavior, I'll move the bug to a feature request (and seriously pursue that).  You shouldn't be forced to wake up at 3am due to a Roku firmware update :mrgreen:
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

I'm wondering if it's something specific to that particular brand. I have two Roku TVs, an Insignia 24" 720p set, and a Sharp 43" 4K set. Neither have to my knowledge ever powered up after a firmware update, nor have I seen any changes in the audio setting after an update. 
My Roku 4, however, did go through a time that it was powering on my TV after an update. Fortunately, that one isn't in a bedroom.  Smiley Very Happy Disabling One Touch Play stopped that, and recent firmware updates seem to have resolved it on that one.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
roquoonewbie
Level 9

It's happened to multiple brands for me (Sharp, TCL, Hisense).

There are no changes in the audio settings after the update.  That is not the issue.
0 Kudos