Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shadow3
Channel Surfer

TV Controlled by Someone else

I bought a small TCL Roku TV from a local pawn shop recently and ever since hooking it up someone else's controller is affected by my remote and vice versa. My sister has a similar TV in her room next to mine with no issues. Ive set up device control to use in a dorm or hotel but that hasn't helped. I have factory reset twice and this is still happening. I'm on an upstairs level so it's hard for someone to just point and control. Please help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV Controlled by Someone else

@Shadow3 wrote:

... someone else's controller is affected by my remote and vice versa. ...

So, your controller is also controlling another TV? There's your clue right there. Whose TV have you identified it as controlling?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Shadow3
Channel Surfer

My account doesn't say. I see my TV and that's its. It's the first roku I've owned so this is a brand new account. At the time of writing this my TV is turning on and off without me even touching the controller.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Shadow3 

First, if you take the batteries out, does it continue?

Next, I'm going to assume the "and vice versa" should be ignored. It seems that you're saying that something appears to be controlling your TV, but you have not seen anything to indicate your controller is controlling another TV.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Shadow3
Channel Surfer

I can control their options on my screen and I can tell when I turn their TV on/off because almost immediately it's back to how they want it.

0 Kudos
Shadow3
Channel Surfer

As for the batteries when I took them out nothing happened on my screen that indicated they were using their remote. It started up again roughly 5 minutes after I put the batteries back in.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Shadow3 

I'm thinking there is no other remote involved. I think you have a dirty contact on your remote. If it only happens when the batteries are in your remote, that points to your remote being the cause.

Compressed air may be helpful in clearing out any dust that may have accumulated there. If you have one of those cans like you find at Walmart and other retailers that you can use to clean out keyboards and such, try focusing the stream around the power button.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

If it's a Wifi (point anywhere) remote, then you can try un-pairing and then re-pairing it.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-pair-roku-remote-4175130 

After that, if you still have problems, try a factory reset on the TV. That should always be the first thing done when you get a used electronics device.

0 Kudos
Shadow3
Channel Surfer

I've factory reset twice. I had a hard time signing in because the other person kept turning the TV off

0 Kudos