Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lxvii1

TCL tv needs to be on first to receive any input

My current TV (Smart TV: 55s546), for whatever reason, requires to be turned on first before anything else to show any display. Example 1: turn TV on, turn computer on = working display. Example 2: Turn computer on (or any device connected) first, turn TV on = No display. It just stays at the "No input" screen despite the TV working perfectly fine if turned on first. It's such a specific timing that even if the TV is on first, I must wait until the screen text changes to "No input" before turning on my computer. If I turn my computer on while the TV says "searching for input/device", it will refuse to show any image and return back to the "No input" screen. 

I've tried numerous devices, different ports and different cables (HDMI etc.) and it just seems to be a case of my TV being THAT picky. Is this normal? If so, is there a way to avoid this issue? It becomes a hassle if I step away and my computer goes to sleep just to come back to wake it up and have to restart it because the TV decides to drop all connection. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: TCL tv needs to be on first to receive any input

Hi @lxvii1

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

You can contact TCL Support here: https://support.tcl.com/us or at 1-877-300-8837.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Re: TCL tv needs to be on first to receive any input

This sounds like it may be related to something I encountered with my Cable Box.  If both the cable box and the Roku TV were set to automatically set up the HDMI, then the outcome of resolution and data rate were dependant on which box was turned on first.  Also, when the automatic resolution was negotiated, it tended to come up at 480 lines.

The fix was simply to set the cable box to operate at 1080, then, every time the TV reaches out to the HDMI, it sets up at high res.  Without this fix, the High Def cable channels presented at 480/4:3.

This may not be of any assistance to you, but its worth looking at.

0 Kudos