Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

TCL tv and sound bar issue

I have a 55" TCL Roku tv and a Samsung soundbar. The sound bar is connected to the ARC HDMI plug with an HDMI cable. For some reason when I turn on the tv the sound bar doesn't turn on. Is there a special HDMI cable required? Any thoughts on this issue? If I turn the sound bar on manually via the remote that came with it, it works fine.

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: TCL tv and sound bar issue

I believe you have to turn on CEC in the TV's settings for this to work. There is a section in the system settings to activate this.
0 Kudos
Level 19

As @scottypie1234 mentioned, you'll want to enable HDMI CEC settings on your TV, which should enable this functionality for you. 

Visit Settings>System>Control other devices(CEC)>and try enabling 'ARC', and 'System audio control'. 

Let us know if that helps get things on track! 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue with my TCL TV and my Vizio sound bar. I have applied the correct settings to enable HDMI ARC, I bought the latest HDMI cable, and I even did a total soundbar reset. Sometimes, the soundbar comes on but more often than not it doesn't. Any thoughts on this issue?

Highlighted
Level 7

I have this same issue. The TV is connected to a Sony sound bar via the ARC output / HDMI.  When plugged into the sound bar, about 2 in 3 times when the TV is turned on, shortly after it connects to the external audio (I see the audio symbol in the upper right), the audio cuts out entirely.  No sound.  Other times, it only happens when the volume button is clicked up or down.  Other times it's totally fine.  To get it to come back on, we have to turn the TV off and back on.  Usually we just power down the sound bar, and the audio comes back out of the TV.  Definitely the experience I'm wanting for an $800 TV and a $250 sound bar. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hello @hkyfan--did you solve this?  I spoke with TCL (TV manufacturer) and they said it's a hardware issue, which doesn't sound right to me.  I think it's a firmware issue, but haven't been able to get them to help me.

0 Kudos