Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisaLuka
Reel Rookie

TCL streaming apps don't work, TV stalls looking for update after factory reset

Jump to solution

Our TCL (new as of January 2021) has never had problems connecting to the Internet or streaming channels.  I believe a Roku update has caused issues.  It says it's connected to the Internet, but every app says it is not.  I tried to refresh our internet connection and it kept asking if I'm at home or in a dorm.  I rebooted our router and connection points.  It still asked if I'm at home or in a dorm.  I said "home" and it said it was connected, but the apps still sayid there was no connection. 

I made the mistake of doing a factory reset on the TV.  When connecting to the internet, it still gave me that weird "are you at a hotel or dorm, or are you at home?" question.  I chose "home," and it said it was connected.  It then started to search for updates, and immediately said  "Can't update software - please wait a few minutes and try again.  Error 003."  My only choice is to exit setup.  So now I can't even get my Roku TV through setup. Please help!  My family wants to watch movies and TV for Thanksgiving.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL streaming apps don't work, TV stalls looking for update after factory reset

Jump to solution

Try using your phone's hotspot if possible and connect to that just to get through the initial setup.  If you can get through that, check for updates from Settings->System->System update.  Roku is rolling back the 10.5 update for some devices, but I don't know if it will happen during the initial setup or if you have to do it manually and yours may not even be one of the affected devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL streaming apps don't work, TV stalls looking for update after factory reset

Jump to solution

Try using your phone's hotspot if possible and connect to that just to get through the initial setup.  If you can get through that, check for updates from Settings->System->System update.  Roku is rolling back the 10.5 update for some devices, but I don't know if it will happen during the initial setup or if you have to do it manually and yours may not even be one of the affected devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
LisaLuka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, that worked and I was able to get it to update.  The TCL is on version 10.5, so maybe our device was not impacted with the update. I reset everything on the tv and restarted our router one more time, and it works now. Thank you! 

0 Kudos