Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirt8623
Level 7

TCL roku tv keeps dropping internet connection

Hi all. I dont know where else to find answers to this.
I have a 55" TCL roku TV. I bought I December 2016.

The issue I seem to be having with this tv is when I power it on it will find my wifi and use it without issue. As soon as I start streaming something (usually YouTube) with in the first 5 minutes it will lose connection to the wifi. When I try to find and reconnect to the internet it either cant find the wifi or it won't connect. And I have to restart my tv through the settings.

My father has the same tv on the same wifi and he doesn't have these issues and his tv is further from the router. No other device is losing internet or is unable to find the wifi.

This has always been an issue with my tv but more so the last few weeks.

I have checked and adjusted my wifi settings. I did a factory restore 2 days ago. I have been on 8.0 since it was released. Thanks for any help on this. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
40 Replies
Tinybird
Level 7

Re: TCL roku tv keeps dropping internet connection

Same with mine repeatedly restarting will fix, I think it is malware
0 Kudos
Rbabiarz
Level 7

I have the same problem. Posting here in case someone has a solution. I have to pull the power cord to restore connection. Pain in the ...
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"Rbabiarz" wrote:
I have the same problem.  Posting here in case someone has a solution.  I have to pull the power cord to restore connection. Pain in the ...

It's a known issue that is being worked on.
0 Kudos
Mizamonie
Level 7

I have a Sharp Roku television that consistently has the same problem. It drops the internet connection and when I follow the menu to reset the connection I get a message that it cannot find my wireless. The only solution is to unplug the television. I will NEVER buy a ROKU product again because I don't have this problem with my Apple TV or with either one of my family's other smart televisions.
0 Kudos
stlcowboyfan
Level 7

Sam here. 32 inch TCL Roku TV. You’ll be watching and out of the blue, it disconnects from the wireless. When you go to settings, it doesn’t see any wireless signal...even though the wireless in the house is clearly working. Not only do you have to get up and unplug the TV for like 30 seconds, you also have to go back into the “hidden “ menu in order to turn down the brightness on the little LED light, again. This whole ordeal happens at least once a week. Funny...my larger Sanyo flatscreen in the family room that simply has a Roku device connected to it, never disconnects. I guess I shouldn’t be too upset, seeing as how I only paid $130 for th TV, but it’s a pain...I’ll probably never buy a TCL product, again.
0 Kudos
jagreenough
Level 7

What changes did you make to ur WiFi? WiFi connectivity issues can be from signal levels (either too high or too low - yes too high can be bad) or interference.
If you have a windows laptop get acrylic wifi scanner (free version) and see which channel is free-est and adjust the router WiFi to that channel.
See if that helps.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for getting in touch here!

If you've checked for system update in Settings>System>System update>Check now, and are still running into an issue with your connection, please PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your TV from Settings>System>About. We're looking into this issue currently, and may have more options or troubleshooting to assist with what you're experiencing. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
samsgrl1121
Level 7

I’m having the same issue. Netflix and other apps will load, play for about 30 seconds and then disconnect.
I’ve refreshed my internet. I’ve reset the tv and reloaded it and it still isn’t working.

TCL Model 55US557-W
Software version 8.2.0 build 4170-22
Serial # YW001T391174
0 Kudos
mnorris53
Level 7

The same thing is happening here as well.  This TV is only about 1 1/2 years old and has not been used a lot until recently.  It drops the connection probably 3 times a day, while other devices stay connected.  And when you try to reset, it doesn't even recognize our router.  I would love to find a solution as this is very annoying - you never know when it might happen or how long it will take before connecting again.
0 Kudos