Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkerr455
Level 8

TCL r625 dolby vision settings problem

Jump to solution

Hello,

Since the last update for the TCL R625 on Nov 1, I can not change my dolby vision settings from dark, normal, or bright, without the picture completely darkening and colors becoming inaccurate. Once it changes like this, I have to turn off the dolby content and reload it to have an accurate picture. This is annoying when I am trying to compare dolby dark vs dolby normal. This does not happen with HDR10 or SDR content

Has this happened to anyone else, and have there been any solutions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jkerr455
Level 8

Re: TCL r625 dolby vision settings problem

Jump to solution
Well I did contact TCL regarding the problem and they gave the generic starting steps of restart, reinstall, and factory refresh.
I actually found that the problem was due to the color calibration settings I had placed in the Roku app. I reset both the color and white balance values, and placed the color space back to native, and now I can switch between Dolby vision modes without awful distortion of the colors and brightness.. though I guess it won’t be calibrated.

Also, this occurred with any Dolby content on the Roku streaming apps or through HDMI. I primarily use AppleTV but noticed it everywhere else. And the problem only occurred if I tried changing Dolby settings during playback.. if I left it alone it would look fine.
The only thing I notice now is when I change from Dolby dark to Dolby normal, there is a brief period of screen brightening before it settles back down (few seconds later the screen slightly dims). Vice versa for changing from Dolby normal to dark.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution
I have the same problem. It's actually been like this since I got the tv, on the latest update now. Source Netflix app Roku and HDMI laptop and app. Happens on any title.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@jkerr455 Thanks for letting us know about the issue you are seeing here. We'd like to help investigate this a bit further. 

To start, we'd recommend contacting your Roku Tv manufacturer to report the issue, and request direct support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides support for their TVs running the Roku OS. 

To help pass along some more information to our team, could you please provide the following information: 

- What source are you playing Dolby Vision content from when you experience this issue? If a streaming channel, please specify which one. Also, what is an example content title (movie or tv show) that you observe the issue occurring on? e.g. Streaming Channel - Netflix - Stranger Things, Season 1 - Episode 1 

- If you're watching content from an HDMI input device, is the device connected directly to the TV, or are you using any A/V receiver or soundbar? 

- If you are using an A/V receiver or soundbar, what is the specific brand and model? 

With additional details, we'll be able to continue investigating this further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jkerr455
Level 8

Jump to solution
Well I did contact TCL regarding the problem and they gave the generic starting steps of restart, reinstall, and factory refresh.
I actually found that the problem was due to the color calibration settings I had placed in the Roku app. I reset both the color and white balance values, and placed the color space back to native, and now I can switch between Dolby vision modes without awful distortion of the colors and brightness.. though I guess it won’t be calibrated.

Also, this occurred with any Dolby content on the Roku streaming apps or through HDMI. I primarily use AppleTV but noticed it everywhere else. And the problem only occurred if I tried changing Dolby settings during playback.. if I left it alone it would look fine.
The only thing I notice now is when I change from Dolby dark to Dolby normal, there is a brief period of screen brightening before it settles back down (few seconds later the screen slightly dims). Vice versa for changing from Dolby normal to dark.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Roku, this is not a solution and it's insulting to the owners of this TV that it's marked as a solution. It creates more problems. Not a solution at all... Please have some respect for those that have purchase and have/had faith in this forum/Roku.
0 Kudos
jkerr455
Level 8

Jump to solution
Yes thank you I agree.. I only found the problem not the solution. If I try to change my calibration settings or set the color space to anything other than native in the Roku app, I can’t not change between HDR modes without completely losing all brightness/clarity. I need to restart the program to get the picture to return in that case, which makes picking my desired setting a real pain