Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjcuadra
Level 7

TCL TV with Roku and Netgear R8000 Router

Let me try this again. My TCL TV, model 55S403 with built in Roku (7105X), is unable to play large video files off my wireless mini DLNA from a Netgear X6 R8000 router.  The files are all MP4 and MKV. All other devices on network including Win10 computers, iPads, iPhones, mini Mac, and even an LG TV with Web OS 3.0 can play all the video files. My Roku media player can list all the files too: but as soon as play is selected, it hangs on retrieving files and eventually returns to the main menu. As an experiment created smaller files with Cyberlink PowerDirector 14 at about 250MB and the files have no problems. However, all my other videos over 1.5GB do not play. I repeat all files are in either MP4 or MKV format and play on all other devices on mini DLNA network except my Roku media player. Any ideas...?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: TCL TV with Roku and Netgear R8000 Router

MP4 and MKV are not formats, but containers. They can contain multiple audio and video codecs, including some that Roku does not support. It sounds to me that your DLNA server is attempting to transcode the files and they are timing out before playback can begin. Very few routers have enough power to transcode properly. It's also possible that when you used PowerDirector you changed the codecs to something that Roku supports. 

See this page to determine what codecs Roku supports, and ensure your videos have the right codecs. I have MKV and M2TS files that are over 30 GB and they stream just fine to any of my Rokus without transcoding if the codecs are correct. In fact, with a couple of exceptions the only ones that need any transcoding are the ones with Dolby TrueHD, since Roku doesn't bitstream HD audio. DTS Master Audio will bitstream the DTS core without needing to be transcoded. But I also have some files with VC-1 video, and those require transcoding to H.264.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mjcuadra
Level 7

Using the Command + "I" on a mac, it is possible to view the inspector on a video file. All the files for this trial are H.264 with 1920 by 808 resolution. They all hang on retrieving file and then return to the main menu. This is why all my other devices have no problems playing these files. I don't believe the issue is a codec.  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

True, H.264 is a Roku supported codec. But H.264 also has different levels, and I'm unsure about Roku media support above L4.1. Although I have a few at L5.1 that I believe play OK, but I'm pretty sure they are all 4K. I have also seen times the container is corrupted, and can have playback issues. A simple remux into the same container usually resolves that. And of course there's still the question about the audio codec. 

As I mentioned, I have some very large MKV containers that play on my Roku players without issue with Serviio. I've never tested MiniDLNA, but it's not the first time I've heard of playback issues with it.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos