Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The_IT_Nerd
Channel Surfer

TCL TV stuck On 9.4.0 for over a year

Jump to solution

Hello. I have a TCL Roku TV Model 7128X which has been "stuck" on 9.4.0 build 4190 for over a year now. I have not been able to update it as it says that it is up to date. I've also tried resetting the TV to see if that would allow it to update with no success. Is this the last supported build of Roku OS that is available for this TV? Or is there some other reason why I cannot get newer builds. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL TV stuck On 9.4.0 for over a year

Jump to solution

@The_IT_Nerd

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend now checking for a manual update on your Roku device by going to Settings > System > System update > Check now.

Please keep us posted if you are still experiencing an issue updating to the latest OS.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I don't believe there are any Roku TVs that are no longer receiving updates.  Were you ever in a beta program or did you ever get a special rollback?

You can try downloading an update from https://tvupdate.roku.com and use a USB flash drive to update.  Make sure you use the Roku model number displayed under Settings->System->About and not the TCL model number.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
The_IT_Nerd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Now that you mention it, I was part of a beta at that time. I will download the latest version as you have suggested and see if that fixes things. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
The_IT_Nerd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well... That did not work. I walked through the process of downloading the update and getting it onto a USB stick.... Actually I tried three of them all formatted for FAT32, all of them from 4 to 16GB and even tried formatting them on a Mac and PC. But when I stick the USB stick into the TV, it doesn't prompt with the 12 digit code that it's supposed to prompt with. So in short, nothing happens. 

Any other suggestions? Please advise. 

0 Kudos
Musoka
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I wish I was stuck on old firmware. You might want to look into the myriad of issues going on with firmware 10.5 for OVER THREE MONTHS NOW ROKU... Broken apps, failed dns rollover settings, broken TV tuner level indicator, etc. You're in IT as am I- go with if there's no problems, you don't need an update... 

0 Kudos
The_IT_Nerd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks @Musoka for the heads up.

I was just having a look around and noticed those threads. Not good. I had been planning to use this as a second TV in the bedroom now that I have a brand new Bravia that Santa delivered to me a couple of days ago. I was thinking that an update would be good from a bug fix and security standpoint. Clearly that isn't the case. Based on your feedback and what I've seen, I'll abandon that idea and pull this off the network and stick it in my storage locker. It is still odd that it won't see the update on a USB stick though. Clearly whatever beta I was on a year ago messed this TV up so badly even a factory reset won't fix it. Pity. 

Thanks again. 

Musoka
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It'll work great with a Google TV or whatever plugged into it. I'd recommend waiting until they fix their firmware disaster but if you want to try to fix it down the road- in one of the secret menus you can take yourself off of their beta firmware server and switch yourself to production or whatever it is in there. Do an update and hopefully it'll roll you onto a non beta version. At that point if it updates onto something else maybe factory reset it then. Just my personal thoughts. Don't expect working apps etc though was all I was trying to tell you. Not everything is broken, but plenty either is, or can be. 

0 Kudos
The_IT_Nerd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for this. I did not even think of checking to see what update server I was on via the secret menu. So I did just that and discovered that I was on the beta server which is what I suspected. I'll leave it there for now and keep an eye on this forum to see when the issues are sorted. 

Thanks @Musoka 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@The_IT_Nerd

Thanks for the posts.

If you would like your Roku TV to be updated to the latest OS, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
The_IT_Nerd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was taking a bit of a break over the holiday. Is this the info that you are looking for?

looking for? IMG_0400.PNG

0 Kudos