Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCL TV freezes / lags / restarts itself when using streaming apps (NEtflix, Disney +, etc)

For about a month my TV (55P605)chas started to freeze when buffering in different apps, mostly NEtflix and Disney +. The TV will not respond to my remote or anything and I usually just have to wait for a few mins when it will reboot itself or just unplug it. I have the most up to date software (9.2.0) and build (4502-30). Is anyone else having this issue and know a fix?

Labels (1)
44 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TCL TV freezes / lags / restarts itself when using streaming apps (NEtflix, Disney +, etc)

@thecriterionman 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: TCL TV freezes / lags / restarts itself when using streaming apps (NEtflix, Disney +, etc)

I am having the same exact problem.  And yes, I've contacted TCL support multiple times.  They have been friendly and seem to be trying but they have not fixed the problem.  Are you still having this issue?

Yep. Most notably with Disney + and Netflix. I hope they have an update soon that fixes it. Please post if you have any solutions 

Level 8

Been having the same issue... after TCL 55-inch Roku TV has been off for a while (during day or over night), a few seconds to a minute or so after turning it on, it will freeze and reboot. This has been happening since installing the XFinity Streaming App (Beta) -- wondering if that app is causing a problem, but I see others talking about different apps...

Level 8

Has anyone found a solution.  I have soft reset, hard reset, factory reset and updated software via USB.  Software is up to date.  TV will either loose network connection and/or freeze and reboot itself.  I don't even have to be streaming at the time.

Level 8

When our TCL Roku TV was doing this same thing, we discovered that it was related to power settings. From the Roku home screen, select "System" then "Power" then check that "Fast TV Start" is "Enabled" -- when this setting had been "Disabled" we had all these problems you describe. Since enabling, the problems have ceased. We assume that being enabled keeps the system on standby, rather than shutting down another level, which requires the Roku to reboot each time it is powered back up.

Level 8

Oh -- and yes, this started after installing the Xfinity streaming app... maybe that app somehow changed that power setting...

0 Kudos
Level 8

Appreciate the feedback.  Changed setting, reset TV again, it still will not maintain network connection and when it does, the TV reboots for no reason in the middle of playback regardless of what app I'm streaming.  Some times it reboots even when I'm not streaming.  I'm giving up on TCL . . . will be replacing it with another brand.

Level 8

Sorry it didn't work for you - very frustrating!

0 Kudos