Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forrealgames145
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL S515 - not outputting Dolby Atmos over ARC

Yeah, true. Feature breaking updates shouldn't be taken so lightly. I'll try to keep the post updated until we hear about it. Nothing yet from Roku, but apparently there's a new update rolling out soon. Hopefully, since they've been working on this issue for the past couple weeks, they've implemented some kind of fix for it while troubleshooting. I guess we can just wait to hear from them though. On TCL's end, they're having me do exactly what you said you had to do. So I replicated the issue again and sent them a video like they asked. We'll see where that goes. But the customer service representative made sure to remind me that my warranty was over LOL. Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@forrealgames145

Thanks for providing us with the information that we have requested.

I have passed long your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
forrealgames145
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R

Thanks, man. Really appreciate you keeping me updated and involved. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon! Looking forward to hearing some good news from you as time goes on. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
forrealgames145
Channel Surfer

Just wanted to keep this post updated and tell you all where I'm at with TCL's customer service. According to their highly skilled technical engineers, they're saying it's a hardware issue. Which, I would buy if this were an isolated incident, but we've established in this thread and in another thread that there are others facing this same exact issue. This is simply not a hardware issue. I'm thinking they just don't want to bother with it since my warranty is expired, and they would benefit from having me just buy a new TV. But I would never purchase another TCL after that experience. I'm hoping Roku can provide some better insight on this. Moving forward though, definitely discouraging anyone from buying a TCL brand TV. Unbelievable. 

By the way, it seems there is yet ANOTHER person on reddit experiencing this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/tqbwx9/im_only_getting_dolby_digital_51_on_my_sonos_beam/ 

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

lol @ TCL's "highly skilled engineers."    As I've mentioned in numerous other posts, TCL's support is a joke.  

This issue is a software problem that TCL refuses to acknowledge.  It sounds like the 11.0 Roku OS update fixes it but I can't be sure because TCL hasn't sent my TV the update yet.  They also refused to send me a downgrade file.  They also refused to replace the TV or refund my purchase price.  They're thinking I'm just going to go away and live happily ever after with their broken POS tv.  

Easiest solution is to never buy another TCL product, or if you do, buy it from Costco where you can get an extended warranty included.  

But Costco seems to have stopped carrying TCL.  After going through this issue, I can understand why.  

0 Kudos
racer_x

I'm having the same issue with my TCL 75Q825. Bought it from Costco two years ago. Updated to OS v11. I currently have a Samsung q90r soundbar that supports Dolby ATMOS and have set the audio settings to passthrough and to use HDMI eArc. It will often not detect ATMOS from the soundbar and when checking the audio output it will say it only supports Stereo over the HDMI connection. Which of course is not true.  I have no idea how to solve this. A few hours later, turn the TV on and check settings and it will then say it supports ATMOS over the HDMI connection! What gives?

I previously had a Sonos Arc soundbar and same thing happened. So it's not the q90r's fault.

I have changed out the HDMI cable, and still happens. So it's not the cable's fault.

The only common denominator is the TV. And I don't recall this happening in the past .It seems to be something relatively recent. 

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

If you go in and toggle the audio and hdmi port settings it will then detect atmos.  But as soon as you turn the TV off, next time you turn it on you'll have to go through the same steps.  

Unless TCL comes out with an 85"+ TV that is as bright as LED and has better contrast than OLED, and they sell it for $1000, I am not buying another TCL product again.   And if I did, it would have to be through Costco so I can get their extended warranty.  TCL's own support is useless and Best Buy's return policy is garbage.  

0 Kudos
mtwong26

I am having the same issue as everyone here. Atmos isn't detected unless I update devices in the CEC. It's July and it hasn't been fixed with 11.0. I have a TCL 65R635.

I also noticed that the "Dolby Atmos" notification is not showing despite being set to "On." The sound bar itself will say that it is receiving Atmos for compatible content but the television won't.

This is clearly not a hardware issue and is a software issue. Unfortunately, I didn't have a Dolby Atmos compatible sound bar until now and I am over a year out of warranty.

Just shell out more money for a reliable television. These budget TVs require a give and take.

0 Kudos
Drdmx187

I had or shall I say have the same issues with a TS813 sound bar and a 55S421 on 11.0 software build 4193-30. Nothing worked to get Dolby atmos out of the tv in any app (Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max) I know the sound bar works fine because same thing I hooked up my Xbox series x to it and was able to get atmos sound out of all apps. Rebooted tv and checked all combination of settings and only thing that seems to have fix it is going to settings-> system-> digital output format -> passthrough. With this setting I’m able to get Dolby atmos sound again from native Roku apps! This has driven me insane and I hope this info helps others in the same boat! Mine was set to auto. @Roku & TCL fix this or acknowledge it and help your customers out because a feature lost or disrupted by an update is enough to turn ppl off to your products when you aren’t able to address them properly in a timely manner! 

0 Kudos