Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JP56
Reel Rookie

TCL Roku tv won’t connect to internet

Help please. I bought a 50 inch TCL Roku tv and it won’t connect to the internet. I’ve done all the disconnections and restarts recommended, I’ve got an excellent connection. I’m using the correct case on password. I’ve loaded updates through usb. I’ve double-checked the time zone. I’ve changed the ping thing.

im stumped. Any ideas?

16 REPLIES 16
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: TCL Roku tv won’t connect to internet

Hi @JP56 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Mcat29
Reel Rookie

Ditto, I've done everything you've done as well. I'm not even receiving an error code. What the heck happened to our tvs?!

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mcat29

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! How long has the issue existed? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

JP56
Reel Rookie

Disconnected the tv, modem,router

reconnected eveything

double checked password

strong signal 

still get error 14 failure to connect to the internet

also usb loaded tv updates

also reset the ping button

of note, connected a fire stick with no problem to this tv with no connection difficulties.

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @JP56

Thank you for the inquiry!

I'd be delighted to look closely to see how we may assist you in getting started. Do you receive an error message when attempting to connect to your wireless network or when streaming a specific channel?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried re-connecting your Roku to a solid wireless network to see if that helps resolve the issue you are seeing? You may also try to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as another mobile phone signal typically provided and maintained by specific mobile phone (cellular) service providers, to see if you are experiencing the same issue.

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
JP56
Reel Rookie

I tried connecting to my cell. No problem.

Tried the house internet service, no go.

I decided to move the modem from the floor to the top of a table and it worked.

Duh, should have thought of that sooner. 

Thanks to all.

0 Kudos
cwcheese
Roku Guru

even though you've fixed the issue, good on you for that, have you considered using a wired connection from your modem/router to the TV? I have a setup at my home where the cablemodem/router is only about 6ft from the TV so I use CAT5 ethernet to hook Sharp Roku TV direct to the modem.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
0 Kudos
Mcat29
Reel Rookie

Hi Lianna,

Thank you for the warm welcome. This issue started last weekend so about 7 days ago now. In not exact order here are the various steps I've taken to try and fix the issue. I've restarted my wifi, I've restarted the TV itself, I've searched for wireless connection, I've done Network connection reset, along with a factory reset, used the secret home page code to access the secret menu, and none of them have worked.

The TV did however work when I connected it directly through wired connection, while connected I looked for an update for the TV. There was none.

I have 2 other TCL tvs in my home and none of them are having this problem.

TCL model 50S425.

0 Kudos