Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TCL 43S425 not playing 4K in Netflix or Amazon Prime

Jump to solution

My TCL 43S425 4K HDR TV doesn't play 4K on Netflix or Amazon anymore. Anyone else have this issue?

When I am browsing through the Amazon Prime lists I see UHD icon on the TV show. When I click on the episode it only shows HDR, 5.1. Never shows UHD. Netflix also only shows HDR on TCL Roku TV. However when I play these same shows through my computer I see the UHD icon in both Amazon and Netflix. If I plug in TV to my computer and play these titles, I see UHD icons as well.

What is happening to the Roku TV OS lately? It just doesn't seem to want to play 4K content on their apps. 

After doing a lot of digging around I found this old document:

https://image.roku.com/ww/docs/compare-chart-new-old-en-us.pdf

It says that 4 HDMI Roku TV can play 4K content but not 3 HDMI. Does that mean that all TCL TVs with 3 HDMI ports have this issue now? Has it been made obsolete by the software (Roku OS) or is it just a bug? I understand that the TV I have is 4K with 3 HDMI but the pdf shows HD and 3 HDMI ports. 

If anyone from Roku team can answer these questions I'd really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: TCL 43S425 not playing 4K in Netflix or Amazon Prime

Jump to solution

At least your tv display HDR, my brand new 65 R635 2020 tv plays all content as SDR thru the apps of the TV. I don’t have anything connected to the tv and I want to keep it that way but I am thinking about taking it back and getting a tv with android OS . Roku seems to ignore us at the moment

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’ve been looking up the HDR/4K problems from Prime VIdeo and my Roku 6 series. It’s not the tv or the firmware and it’s not Roku’s fault. I can get HDR and 4K with other apps and directly playing that content to the tv, it’s just the Amazon app that is refusing to let us play it even though it says it’s available.  This problem goes back almost two years and with multiple devices, Amazon is to blame. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Amazon Prime breaking HDR

Jump to solution

It appears playing Prime will disable HDR on all apps till you do a soft reboot/restart in setting under Power, so I guess that's a temp fix???. After that it works on Prime once but you'll have do another restart to re-enable it for other application. I only use Prime for The Boyz so it's not a big issue for me since I'm a Netflix/HULU guy but it **bleep** annoying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: TCL-Roku device suddenly does not render Prime in 4K-HDR!

Jump to solution

You would think right?? Search for audio lag and lip sync issues for surround sound systems and you'll get results from 2017

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Amazon Prime breaking HDR

Jump to solution

I would like to add that on a 65 inch Sharp Aquos and this was 100 percent introduced during the 9.3 update so it's not a Amazon issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Confirmed on a Sharp TV as while but found a workaround I posted on my thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

It's not a TCL issue as I have a Sharp TV and found a fix but I'm tired of this company passing the buck

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I said ths before this is 100 percent a Roku issue as I have another TV manufacturer, so whoever you talked to is a liar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

This is a Firmware issue. This is a Roku/TCL Problem.

Roku broke Netflix Dolby streaming with a firmware update.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/TCL-Roku-TV-and-Netflix-Buffering/m-p/511573

It took a major firmware update released in June to get resolved.

The day that firmware was released, HDR in prime stopped working.

There are 11 pages of people here who noticed the problem after that firmware update.

And regardless of who is at fault, it has been three months since this issue started on these TCL's, and it should have be sorted out by now by all the parties involved.