Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theuser86
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV wifi issues

@Orlando

This is your first post - do you have any other Roku products working with your network?
0 Kudos
0rlando
Level 7

I have a box I haven't used in awhile but the last time I did it worked fine.
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

Try it again and let us know. Could be an issue with the interaction with Roku and your network. Just cause every other device works doesn't mean the Roku TV must be defective.
0 Kudos
0rlando
Level 7

I've had enough Roku for awhile, have gone back to my laptop and tablet. Good luck with yours, everyone! Ciao, I'm outta here.
0 Kudos

I just bought the 55in TCL Roku TV. Connected to WiFi the first time, installed firmware update, and then when it rebooted could never connect to WiFi again. Bought the usb ethernet dongle mentioned and it connects but I cannot set up my roku online as it always trys to connect to WiFi... hopefully a fix comes out for this soon!
0 Kudos
frmky
Level 7

I never did find a solution. Tried two tvs, many secret screen options, many router options. Finally gave up. Bought a Vizio and it connected to my network without issues, but rather than using their apps I've connected a Roku 3 to it.
0 Kudos

The only way that I can connect is through a personal hotspot on phone. Roku support claims that means it would be an issue with my ISP. My isp doesn't recognize the DNS servers on the network.? Both Charter, my isp and Apple, my router said that is incorrect especially if my internet/wifi is working for everything else. TCL support is nonexistent; on hold for hours.

I'm not even sure what all that means but still doesn't work. I connected through hotspot and updated. I then went back to connect through my normal wifi network and failed. Sometimes I'll get one or two green lights on connection. Sometimes it will even connect then drop instantly. Then try again and no wifi connections show. I've moved the tv right next to the router so I know distance is not an issue as well. I'll probably return this week. Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
FX4
Level 7

I'm really surprised at all the interest in smart TVs. Five years from now when the interface can no longer be updated you have a television with a worthless feature and you are plugging another box into it so you can get desired functionality. I bought one smart television and have steered clear since. IMO if you want the functionality built into the television going with a model with the streaming stick is the way to go. When it's outdated just get rid of the stick.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 9

^^^ What he said!

TVs should display pictures. Other devices should provide the content.

I prefer TVs to be just a monitor. I think even tuners should be separate devices. Unfortunately, for me, simple monitors are mostly more expensive than TVs with tuners.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 8

"FX4" wrote:

(1)... when the interface can no longer be updated you have a television with a worthless feature and you are plugging another box into it so you can get desired functionality.

(2)... if you want the functionality built into the television going with a model with the streaming stick is the way to go. When it's outdated just get rid of the stick.

Those sound like pretty much the same thing.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos