Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NobHillBilly
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV wifi issues

I'm also having this issue, on my TV it started the day of the Nov 15th Update (although oddly before I actually downloaded the update). Initially I fixed it by factory resetting all the settings. A couple times I was able to fix by restarting the TV through the settings menu or with the restart button above the hdmi connectors. So I thought this was just software issue as it would fix after a restart, but now it's gone several days without any of these things fixing it, I really like the TV when the wifi is working but it's pretty much permanently out right now.

A few times it has had connection issues while it can see my network (and others) but most of the time it's showing no network at all, and when you try to scan for more networks it immediately dismisses the search prompt and you get no results.

My PS3 picks up Wifi just fine there. So did my Wii, etc. Every other device in the house is fine. I've set up a dedicated address based on the MAC address and it didn't help. Obviously I've reset the router a few times. I really need an update or an answer on this otherwise I'll probably return the TV just in case it's a hardware defect. Anybody at Roku out there? Do you know when next TV Software update is coming and if this is a known software issue?
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

to set a reservation on an airport extreme
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ ... rt_extreme

NobHillBilly asked
Do you know when next TV Software update is coming and if this is a known software issue?

Roku does not announce updates in advance but I would expect one shortly.As for a known issue, while every network setup,router and isp can't be tested before a software release Roku does test every update thoroughly before releasing them both in the Roku engineering department and in a group of beta testers in user land
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos

Thanks, knuckle for the link. I'll give that a try, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. I too used a WII in the same spot with no issues. Very clunky but never dropped or had issues.

I'm not tech savvy but willing to learn. I don't think this model will last long amongst the general public if network/setup issues persist. Way too time consuming for a "simple" smart tv.
0 Kudos
H3D
Level 7

I am having similar issues with my new 48" TCL Roku TV. It was able to connect to my wifi on setup, but a few days later it said no connection and now it does not show any available wifi networks to connect to. This is very frustrating.
0 Kudos
NobHillBilly
Level 7

As for a known issue, while every network setup,router and isp can't be tested before a software release Roku does test every update thoroughly before releasing them both in the Roku engineering department and in a group of beta testers in user land

I appreciate the reply, I'm in software QA myself so that doesn't quite ease my concern. Serious know issues don't always stop a PM from saying ship it and not everything can be caught. I know the matrix of setup, router, and isp would be impossible I know it's just 5 people in a week in the forum, but only a small percentage of people are the type to actually go sign up so they can right in a forum so multiple by 100.

Anyway, if QA wasn't already looking into it maybe we can't point them in that direction, I'd be happy to provide details on my home Network via email. Anything else suggested to try in that Contra Code debug menu? Holding on return and scathing Amazon review for a bit (something I've never had to do), but anxiously awaiting update is an understatement. It just sucks because the whole appeal of the TV is I shouldn't have to use another device to stream stuff which is the situation I'm left in right now.
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

Hi NobHillBilly,

If you would like to become part of the QA process and recieve the latest beta updates ( yes you will see some bugs from time to time) PM RokuRich here memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=66124 and ask to join the beta program

In the mean time you have set a reservation, you have factory reset -- have you disabled ping after the reset ?A reset will turn ping back on. If you have tried all this and the unit still refuses to connect you may indeed have a hardware problem which though rare do occur.Will the TV connect if you disable all security and turn off the firewall on your router -- temporarily of course -- so we can rule out a network glitch -- If there is anything specific I can help you with you would rather not post in open forum feel free to PM me
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
0 Kudos

Completely agree with NobHillBilly. I believe it to be a much larger issue. I bought mine from Costco. They told me that they're already receiving returns because they stopped streaming after a couple of days. That will be the typical user response. It doesn't work so I returned it.

Roku was so helpful...they just told me to return it. TCL has told me all the same things..disable ping, change dns server, change channel, reboot. I am your average user. I don't know squat about networks, routers, etc. My family was just so excited that I've been desperately trying to find a way to make it work.

I was hoping that maybe a developer would respond with a known fix or something. Good marketing to reach a larger audience, but it hasn't delivered.
0 Kudos
jazclrint
Level 7

How are the guys who got the Hisenses fairing? I believe they offer a 48" as well. I seem to be one of the lucky ones, as my TCL has had no network issues. But I do have a new Asus N600 router that has sped everything up in my house, and I got it about the same time I got the TV.
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

my ISP had supplied me with a technicolor C2000T modem --- with it I experienced many of the problems others have listed in this thread especially if the power went out, it would take a frustratingly long sequence of reboots to get the tv ( and my other rokus ) to reconnect to that modem.It just plain sucked
replaced it with an Actiontec C2000A and all those problems vanished -- my 40 inch Hisense connects instantly every time now
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
0 Kudos
0rlando
Level 7

I'm very disappointed in this product. I returned my 40" TV I bought online from Costco to the warehouse today. When I tried to set it up it was stuck in an endless software update mode. The update did not ever seem to complete and then I was prompted to do it again over .... and over ... and over again. I rebooted everything I lost track how many times. No connectivity issues with any other equipment in my home, ever - everything else zips along on a high quality newer Motorola gateway modem and high-speed internet. The Costco concierge desk advised it must be a defective unit. At least I could get a refund with Costco's no-hassle return policy. So much for my Christmas present. Smiley Sad

From reading the other posts looks like the Roku TV is just going to be a big pain to deal with all the time, so I know I don't want one.
0 Kudos