Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beq
Level 9

Re: TCL Roku TV wifi issues

Hmm I see that some have fixed their (older?) Roku TV's by either grounding the Wi-Fi board, re-seating the Wi-Fi cable connector, or selecting "Chip reset" from the Wireless Secret Screen menu.

Is the last option safe to do?  There's also "Driver reset"...
0 Kudos

The thread that wouldn't die.
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

Guys, how about some information about your wifi router? What is your internet provider, router make and model, security protocol, any MAC filters, limits on simultaneous connections? There are two parties in this connection.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 9

Heh perhaps I could start a new thread.  I intended to do so but saw that the topic of sporadic Roku TV lost Wi-Fi could be relevant.  What's more the last 6 posts from 2017 (up to late October) still mentioned the same fixes as before.  So I guessed that satisfied Shawn's 6-month age rule?

"beq" wrote:
Hmm I see that some have fixed their (older?) Roku TV's by either grounding the Wi-Fi board, re-seating the Wi-Fi cable connector, or selecting "Chip reset" from the Wireless Secret Screen menu.

I'm curious if people are still finding the same issues (such as ungrounded Wi-Fi board) in 2017-2018 Roku TV's, that might've been present in older models?

P.S.  I have Comcast cable and an Asus 802.11ac router (WPA2-PSK/AES) with custom firmware.  Currently no filters, limits, or QoS.
0 Kudos
btglass
Level 7

Alright, glad I found The-Post-That-Will-Not-Die.

So I have not quite the same, but similar issues... my internet connection drops ONLY when using the Netflix app on my TCL tv. (It doesn't matter if it's connected to wifi or ethernet connected to my router, which is even more baffling to me.) Doesn't have a problem with any other app. Have to do a system restart and then Netflix will work again for 5-10 minutes before losing internet connection.

I'm going to do some of the above-mentioned suggestions (disable ping, disable/reenable Netflix, etc), but has anyone experienced this particular problem? 

If this post doesn't belong on this thread, my apologies and I'll keep hunting around on the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this.
0 Kudos

I just recently had this issue as well with my TCL Roku TV. A lot of forums say to switch to manual DNS and set to 8.8.8.8 but I don't think you have the option to change that on Roku TVs. I got mine to work again by going to my internet provider's (for me it's AT&T) login page and under advanced settings I went to MAC filtering and added my TV's MAC address to the list of allowed devices. After that my wifi name started showing up again on my TV and I connected to it no problem. 

For AT&T, you will need to MY INTERNET -> NETWORK -> ADVANCED OPTIONS -> WI-FI GATEWAY MANAGEMENT CONSOLE -> SETTINGS -> LAN -> LAN WI-FI MAC FILTERING  and enter the MAC address for your TV. I'm not sure where you would find this setting for other internet providers. 
0 Kudos
rokinrobert
Level 7

I have exactly the same issue as the many many other poor saps here. I just bought a 55 inch TCL new from amazon. It worked perfectly out of the box and connected to my wireless fine at first with no issues. Next time I turned on the TV, it could not connect to wifi (error 14.50, as reported by many, many others). We bought the TV for use in an office of my IT company so we have several IT engineers on site. We tried all possible trouble shooting tips and absolutely every possible TV setting, (including "secret screens" (https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/gqiwsuivaxuta2cspi3x.png)),  various resets, and every possible tweak to our network. Nothing worked except changing our wifi network to private (ie invisible), then doing a factory reset of the TV (reset network alone does NOT work), followed by manually entering the network name (SSD) and password, then redoing the entire laborious TV setup from scratch. Each time we do this the TV reconnects to the wifi instantly, so this is NOT a hardware issue. The TV CAN connect, but just can't maintain the connection over time or through power on / off cycles This is almost certainly caused by badly written software or drivers. I suppose this means there is a glimmer of hope that an update might fix the issue, but based on how long it looks like roku has known about this issue already, I am not optimistic. The Roku support site suggestion to "move closer to the base station" is, of course, laughable nonsense.
0 Kudos