Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frmky
Level 7

TCL Roku TV wifi issues

I have now gotten two 48" TCL Roku TV's, and I can't get either connected to my wifi network. Both initially worked, downloaded an update on initial setup, then stopped working. Sometimes it shows the list of networks, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes in the network setup screen it shows the MAC as all 0's but not in the secret menu. A Roku 3 on the same wireless network works fine. Suggestions from customer service haven't helped (case #3100421).

I just saw that the USB will support a wired ethernet adapter. I ordered one, so although not ideal I'm hoping that will work in the interim. Have there been wifi issues reported with this update? Is it possible to get the older firmware?
0 Kudos
136 Replies
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV wifi issues

Have there been wifi issues reported with this update? Is it possible to get the older firmware?

No more than usual, and no.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
DaBronx
Level 7

You might want to try rebooting your tv's and see if that helps with the wireless connection. On the TV home page go into Settings --> System ---> Power ---> System Restart and the tv will reboot.

I have my Roku TV hooked up on a wired connection using the Belkin dongle mentioned in the thread referenced above, bought it on Amazon @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UUY24A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Yikes and holy frijole, the price has gone up from the $17.31 with Prime I paid not too long ago).

Remember Shawn's instructions, "connect the Ethernet to the dongle, and the dongle to the TV usb port, then REBOOT (Settings > System > Power > System Restart). The firmware should prefer the wired connection over the wifi connection if it's available, even though there is no wired option in the Network screen."

Hope you get the wireless going, odd that the issue appears on 2 tv's.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)
0 Kudos
frmky
Level 7

"DaBronx" wrote:

Hope you get the wireless going, odd that the issue appears on 2 tv's.
brett

That and the fact that my Roku 3, Chromecast, and Nest all work fine on the same network made me think it was a bad firmware. Perhaps the wireless chipset in the TV and my router just don't like each other? In any case, very frustrating!
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

set a reservation for your TVs by Mac Addy see if it fixes the problem
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos

I received the TCL 48" yesterday and am having very similar issues. I can't get a WIFI connection. I have wifi access through 4 phones in the house. My network comes up sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't. I have wifi explorer and changed channels to get best signal. 100% signal strength. My router is an airport extreme.

Last night it finally connected started downloading channels and then dropped. Talked to tech support at TCL and Roku to no avail. Now when tv starts up, it just asks for new wifi connection. I get a green light for wifi but then it bombs out on the local network. Any updates/suggestions?
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

try this and see if it helps

from the home screen with your roku remote
Press Home 5 times
Press FF 1 time
Press Play 1 time
Press Rew 1 time
Press Play 1 time
Press FF 1 time
then disable ping

Press rapidly, evenly and without pausing.

good luck

if this does not allow a connection then set a DHCP reservation by Mac addy for the TV
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
solonas
Level 7

I'm having the same issue. It worked yesterday initially when I unboxed it. Then I had to do a factory restore to get it working again. Then today it worked for pandora and then when my wife went to use hulu plus it would not connect. I restarted several times and tried your ping trick to no avail. I'd set a mac reservation, but the mac address it lists is invalid (00.00.00.00.00.00). I'm just going to plug in my roku 3 into this dumb thing and return it tomorrow if I don't hear back from TCL support with a solution.
0 Kudos

ok, please excuse my ignorance. So for the dhcp reservation, do I just go into the network setting on the airport extreme and set a static ip address?
0 Kudos
jazclrint
Level 7

I have the same TV, and I had some issues with the WiFi dropping, but that was while I was breaking in my new router.

I'm passed off that I can't cast from an internet browser, but the WiFi seems to working fine.
0 Kudos