Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4d3fect
Level 7

TCL Roku TV vs Roku 2XS

Welp, our old 37" Vizio died, and along with the MLB app stinking on our old Roku 2XS, we replaced them both with a 43" 4K TCL Roku TV yesterday.

Thought I'd share a few notes.
1) we're budget consumers, we probably couldn't discern advantages of, much less afford, high-end gear.
2) The MLB app simply works now. No jiggery-pokery required.
3) The display is much nicer than our old 720p, nevertheless, advantages of 4K remains to be seen--to these old eyes.
4) off-angle viewing isn't as good as the Vizio, (but shouldn't view like that anyway)
5) the provided remote sucks! Only works if you're right next to the unit--effectively useless. We already had a Harmony smart hub/remote, which we've just set up
6) patching in/configuring the HDMI ARC between my receiver and the TV required a lot of menu digging, consistent menu languages/design would have helped but I got it sorted.

7) Lastly, but most importantly, the WAF is high
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: TCL Roku TV vs Roku 2XS

At 43", 4K will never really be noticeable at normal TV viewing distances. However, I use mine as a computer monitor, so I am sitting about 3 feet from the screen. Even my old eyes can tell how fantastic 4K HDR is from that distance. There are some eye-popping videos on YouTube in their HDR channel, plus I have some 4K demo clips on my media server. And using it as a monitor really gives me a lot of screen space for all of the things I need to view on my computer at the same time.  Smiley Very Happy
And yeah, there's no comparison between something as old as the 2 XS (I have two) and the latest models.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
4d3fect
Level 7

We have a small place and the living room area gives us just 8'. We thought a 50" might have dominated the room. I think it worked out ok.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"4d3fect" wrote:
We have a small place and the living room area gives us just 8'. We thought a 50" might have dominated the room. I think it worked out ok.

I was so proud the day we moved into our first home, put the TV on the wall (because we could now) and that evening my wife said "We need a bigger TV".  
0 Kudos