Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danbfree
Level 10

Re: TCL Roku TV's / DD+ issue with Samsung HW-N950

But Scott, you should start another thread for your issue, brother, it went completely off topic and it's causing a little confusion... I personally think of DD+ is just the "max package"/"container" and different receivers may display this differently when even only 2 channel source is coming through. You have to admit this is waaay different than us with Samsung soundbars not even getting sound at all man...

0 Kudos
jnew1
Level 8

@danbfree Yes it went off topic sorry. I wouldn't blame samsung. From my experience with 2 different tcl tvs, a vizio soundbar, and a yamaha avr... these tvs have major arc issues. I still have the occasional hiccup over arc with my yamaha and the sound quality is so bad with the built in apps from the tcl. Arc may be the problem here.

Scottt1174
Level 10

@jnew1  I just spoke with Pioneer support cause I could never get a hold of them on the phone. They said the TCL is up mixing all sound to DD+ so my receiver will always play in DD+ I knew that but what he also told me was that my 5.1 speakers icons that are always lit up is only detecting the speakers that are connected to the receiver and not the source. I thought that was kind of wierd when he told me that. So I asked him then how can I tell when I am listening to a 2.0 source he said by ear. He said the newer Pioneers will detect the signal and change the lit up speaker boxs but not the older receivers. Wow that is news to me. I guess I got my answer lol

0 Kudos
danbfree
Level 10

Exactly, I still am not sure if we are supposed to blame TCL or Roku here, to me it sounds more like a hardware issue, so TCL in this case, but it could be the Roku software too, and I've heard some people blame them too, so that's why we are here... lol.. it just sucks but it is what it is, I got an $800 soundbar for like $375, so it wasn't so bad dropping another $125 on a Shield TV I guess, I'm just going to consider TCL TV's to be "dumb" until they have full eARC, hopefully for the new 6 series with mini LED coming out later this year. 

0 Kudos
Scottt1174
Level 10

@danbfree Sorry man I just got my issued or answer resolved so I am ok now. Sorry for the inconvenience. Good luck to you hope it works out.

0 Kudos
danbfree
Level 10

@Scottt1174 wrote:

@jnew1  I just spoke with Pioneer support cause I could never get a hold of them on the phone. They said the TCL is up mixing all sound to DD+ so my receiver will always play in DD+ I knew that but what he also told me was that my 5.1 speakers icons that are always lit up is only detecting the speakers that are connected to the receiver and not the source. I thought that was kind of wierd when he told me that. So I asked him then how can I tell when I am listening to a 2.0 source he said by ear. He said the newer Pioneers will detect the signal and change the lit up speaker boxs but not the older receivers. Wow that is news to me. I guess I got my answer lol

He didn't really explain it right, although I get what he means... A better way to say it is think of DD+ as just the "container". Whether it's a full DD+ 5.1 with Atmos filling it all the way up or just 2 channel coming through in a half empty "container", the receiver is simply displaying the container method received... If it was actually upmixing, you'd actually hear more than just left/right stereo... So, the issue is, you need the receiver to see the exact "package" coming through, in this case 2 channel stereo, not just the container size that supports DD+ and Atmos and DTS:X and all that. The receiver needs to detect the actual 2 channel content so it can then process it how you want, the Prologic II or whatever...

To me, this is either them being too cheap to pay someone to program it properly so they just had it done quickly to please the most people by getting their Atmos to work or it could be a limitation of the hardware, which may only support sending everything under the DD+ wrapper too.

0 Kudos
danbfree
Level 10

@Scottt1174 wrote:

@danbfree Sorry man I just got my issued or answer resolved so I am ok now. Sorry for the inconvenience. Good luck to you hope it works out.

No worries man, I hope my last post kind of explains your resolution better than the tech did, LOL.

0 Kudos
Scottt1174
Level 10

@danbfree Dan your last email got deleted by Roku. They always do this it's a disgrace. Anyway that's a great explanation and you are right. Anyway I have an emails going back and forth with TCL and Roku so hopefully they would fix the issue. Thanks for all your help and good luck with your problem I hope they actually fix it and not sweep it under the rug. 

0 Kudos
danbfree
Level 10

Thanks man, I appreciate you at least helping keep this thread active and we've all learned a bit! So one last question about your thing, can you at least manually select the sound mode you want or are you stuck with straight DD+ since that's the wrapper the receiver receives and it can't so anything more with it?

0 Kudos
Scottt1174
Level 10

@danbfree Yeah no problem. I can only select the DSP modes like Action, Games and THX modes like THX movies and games. I have 11 DSP modes plus THX modes. What I cant select is Dolby Prologic II since the TCL is up mixing to always be DD+ and not stereo and that was my issue cause I wanted to listen to a 2 channel source with Dolby Prologic. I mean I can listen to Dolby Prologic if I switch the TCL to the PCM option but who the heck wants to do that and switch back when something is in 5.1 it's just a pain lol.

0 Kudos