Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mc510
Level 7

TCL Roku TV owners, are you happy with the system and support?

Both my tv and my Roku are old and ready to be replaced and it's crossed my mind to get a TCL Roku TV -- seems like a great system, and a great value on a great TV. But I'm a little concerned about Roku's habit of pushing out insufficiently tested system updates, at least as has been my experience with my standalone Roku box. Do you feel that both Roku and TCL are committed to keeping TVs working well over the years, or are they going to start pointing the finger at each other, or just stop paying any attention at all to problems that might come up with TVs that are three, five, seven years old? 
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Bill_Blue
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV owners, are you happy with the system and support?

I purchased a Hisense 43R7E 4K Roku TV at Best Buy on July 12, 2018 after comparing it to the comparable TCL model.   I also Bought the Vizio SB362An-F6 Soundbar from Amazon a few days later. I got them to use in my office space and got a friend to install it on my wall. These two devices seem made for each other. The sound is GREAT and the picture is "second to none" in my opinion. I love the Roku system in the TV. I have used Roku streaming devices for several years and don't think there is anything better on the market, even today. I also have a Samsung UN65JS9000 65-inch curved 4K television that I bought from Amazon back in November of 2015. I am 75 years old and will do nothing but praise the equipment I get. I do my homework before I buy anything.
I recommend people do that to save themselves a lot of headaches. I hope this helps people make a decision about whether or not to buy this television. I have been EXTREMELY PLEASED with my setup.

I thought maybe this would be of help to you in making up your mind on which set to buy.  I checked on Amazon and Best Buy.  They both offer the TV and Best Buy has the lowest price.  Good luck.
PC user since 1981 & Roku for 10 years.
65" Samsung UN65JS9000 w/Vizio soundbar & Roku Ultra
Hisense (Roku) 43R7E 4K HDR & Vizio soundbar.
Roku Stick in guest room; In master bedroom: Vizio 32" TV w/Stick+ & ZVOX V420 Soundbar
0 Kudos
4d3fect
Level 7

We had to replace our old Vizio last year and ended up with a 43" Costco TCL Roku .  Nothing to report support wise (haven't needed to) and it's been almost a full year already so in that sense, very good indeed.  We'll see if anything develops down the road. Given prices dropping and screens embiggening, I'm no longer concerned about the prospect of replacing a TV as I once was.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

The system is what it is.. if you're familiar with Roku OS, you'll be ok with the setup. If you're used to a system that has more advanced, you might not be ok with it. I'm a Roku guy for the past 10 years and I basically just stream, and watch very little live TV, so no issues here.

The TV itself has a high quality 1080p display, the speakers are typical for a thin flat panel.

Support, haven't needed it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

TCL Roku TV is Ok
- Some HDMI ARC connection issues, solvable by custom settings.
- Occasional but annoying failure to Wake on Wireless LAN, caused by TV firmware or Roku App updates. These are usually solved with a subsequent updates.

Nothing major to report.
0 Kudos
w5ci
Level 7

Not Happy at all with my TCL Smart Tv. TV works great with beautiful picture however the ROKU part Sucks.  It will drop any live streaming Feeds after 10 to 12 minutes. but will show a video until it ends regardless of the length. I cant get any help or resolution to this problem from ROKU, TCL says the problem is with Roku 
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

It's simply not a good idea to bundle your TV with a Roku in the same box (unless you're buying one for your Grandma - and she lives with you - so you can be there to fix it).

I'm all for the Roku part, but buy a nice TV and hook up a Roku to it... like the Ultra.

Generally speaking Smart TV's are notorious in their stupidity, nightmares to get and keep updated and ALWAYS suffer from inadequacies in whatever slap-dash operating system/hardware the current Chinese manufacturer decides to use that day. Just buy a nice dumb TV and hook stuff up to it as you need it. No matter what TV you buy know that the speakers are going to suck, because the speakers are going to suck. Buy some sound. As simple as some desktop external speakers (with the woofer, of course) to plug into the headphone jack, or as complicated as a top of the line sound system/bar/whatever. Get a TV with at least 3 HDMI ports... you may/will need them at some point.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Only reason I did it was because the reviews of the TV itself were good, and the price was great (in 2017, a 40" for $240? Unheard of, pretty much).

Future TV purchases probably won't include the Roku software though.. I've had no major problems, but I miss number keys and the UI is slower.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

"w5ci" wrote:
Not Happy at all with my TCL Smart Tv. TV works great with beautiful picture however the ROKU part Sucks.  It will drop any live streaming Feeds after 10 to 12 minutes. but will show a video until it ends regardless of the length. I cant get any help or resolution to this problem from ROKU, TCL says the problem is with Roku 

That sounds 100% like a router issue.
0 Kudos

I"m not happy with my 55-inch TCL Roku TV. The Roku integration is fine, and TCL took care of a warranty issue I had.

But the TV has some pretty serious banding, creating a nasty dirty screen, on dark scenes or those with solid colors. I'll never buy another large-screen TCL again because of this.

I also have a 32-inch TCL RTV that has no issues.
0 Kudos