Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arscribner
Level 7

TCL Roku TV loses sound

I have a TCL 55 inch Roku TV (I think the model number is 55FS4610RTEAA). I have noticed an intermittent issue where I lose the sound, both from the TV itself and through the sound bar (so it is not just one or the other but no sound is available from either). Not that it matters, but I have fiber optic attached Vizio sound bar. This happens both when watching something form a HDMI connected source AND when watching something via an app. This means it cannot be related to cheap HDMI cables as I've seen referenced in so many other posts since the apps are internal to the TV with no traversal of audio/video over HDMI. When this happens, I notice the power controls of the TV don't work either. You cannot turn the TV off. Certainly there are frozen functions on the TV, but the ability to keep playing the video portion keeps working. So, you can see what you are watching but cannot hear, nor turn the power off the on the TV. The only fix is to pull the power cord, plug it back in and force a hard restart of the TV operating system. I'd say this problem shows up about once per week at max, sometimes as few as twice per month. Has anyone else seen this with their TCL Roku TV and does anyone know if there is a fix? I keep the software updated automatically so there are no new updates that might fix this.
7 Replies

Re: TCL Roku TV loses sound

YOu might have a faulty TV. I'd contact TCL, especially if it's still under warranty.

I had a warranty issue on my 55" TCL TV, the company was extremely prompt and helpful in dealing with the issue.
0 Kudos
Tandybrynne
Level 7

I am having the same issue. I have the same tv. I bought at Walmart less than a year ago. Right now the sound is out and I can’t get it turn off so I’ll have to do a hard reset. It very annoying and I can’t find a solution.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I get this too, but ONLY when watching content on HBO NOW thru my HDMI Fire stick, which in my case leads me to believe it's a problem with the Fire Stick HBO NOW app.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

Try this workaround.
0 Kudos

I'm sick of this! I've been dealing with this for months. No one has an answer!!!! Apparently there is no fix. TCL and Roku apparently stink!!!! This is absolutely ridiculous!
0 Kudos
ChristyYoung
Level 7

We are ALSO having this issue! It started @ 4-5 months ago and we have tried everything as well! Ours is now SOOO bad that this happens daily AND several times during 1 sitting! If we dare watch 2 movies in a row, it takes at least 20-30 minutes an evening now, just to watch anything involving the Roku! We have no issues at all when it comes to just normal TV, but using ANY of the Apps (ie; Netflix, Plex, etc...) takes SEVERAL attempts to be able to hear it correctly! We are at our wit’s end and would really like it if someone could please help us solve this problem!
BTW...We bought this TV in Jan. of 2017! We paid $450.00 (and that price was at a discounted rate,through Amazon, after the holidays. It’s not even 2 years old & like I mentioned earlier, this started happening 4-5 months ago!
Someone, ANYONE!! Please help!!
Thank you.
0 Kudos
TeeJaymac
Level 7

Click Options, select Volume mode and make sure Leveling is off. That fixed this problem for me.

0 Kudos