Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tburik

recovery loop

this must be a defect in the TV I tried everything and was alo walked through with a service agent. Now I'm told it has to go under warranty and I have to wait 7 days for a technician. If so many of us are having the same problem we should immediately get replacement tvs to arrive

0 Kudos
tburik

Re: TCL Roku TV latest update “RECOVERY MODE” loop problem. Model: 43S421-CA

this must be a defect in the TV I tried everything you all did and was also walked through with a service agent. Now I'm told it has to go under warranty and I have to wait 7 days for a technician. If so many of us are having the same problem we should immediately get replacement tvs 

TAMMRIE
Channel Surfer

They will come on out and replace your Tv's Motherboard....even that is a refurbished part. 

Mine has been replaced and haven't had a problem just yet with it since. 

If it's a replacement from another TV that may have had something else go wrong with it, I wouldn't expect this mother board to last either. (My warranty might be run out completely by then as well; so I'd really be out of it completely) 😞

Now, if it was a brand spanking new part being installed, then I would expect for it to last way way longer. (I believe that if a new part has been installed, it should also include a whole new warranty on that part specifically). JS

0 Kudos

65S425 55 inches is showing Recovery Mode!! HELP help 

TAMMRIE
Channel Surfer

Have you searched the troubleshooting forums? Have you tried downloading the update from the Roku site and onto a USB/Flash drive and tried rebooting that way. 

I have listed all of the steps that I had gone through on this support site. So0me which worked and at the end, ended up finding out that my mother board had to be replaced; which was and I haven't had a problem since. 

Hope you can resolve you TV's issue. If you still can't seem to get passed the problem, Roku can not and will not do anything as the problem isn't going to be through Roku's services but rather the components within the Tv itself. You need to call the TV's Manufacturer number.

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@Fatdaddy5453 , if your tv isn't under warranty you can probably buy a motherboard. There are videos on youtube showing how to repair these tvs. Apparently there are 5 boards, easy to replace, found on Amazon & eBay.

It's not clear what this never-ending recovery problem is. Some people have said it started with a software update.

Some people have fixed the problem with a pinhole factory reset (unplug the tv. Hold the power button for 30 seconds to drain capacitive energy; press the pinhole reset button & hold it while plugging the tv in. Continue holding it until the front light flashes). 

Some people have said rebooting their router, or taking their tv to a different wifi location (or using their phone as a hotspot to connect through) fixes it. (I think that was this problem. I forget now. It would help if Roku had bug tracking for less ambiguous conversations like this. But, Roku seems to like to keep things ambiguous.).

So, I get the impression the updates aren't tested against all the hardware out there. (If it were a hardware failure, you wouldn't think the above would fix it.).  TCL could have deviated from the hardware spec Roku mandates (if any, they may not mandate anything.). Roku could have deviated, and throwing TCL under the bus (I've seen enough to believe that's likely). When a tv is under warranty, TCL has to fix or replace it. The fact that they can fix it with a new motherboard suggests it's hardware. But, if the software update caused it, then it's unclear how the hardware is the problem. It sounds like a software glitch that can occasionally be remedied, or is remedied with new hardware (motherboard).

One thing which wouldn't hurt to try is the popularly-referred to "cache clear." There's some Roku-induced controversy about this (Roku mocked customers for calling it "cache clear," but didn't explain what it is, or why customers have been able to fix problems which other superstitious self-help remedies didn't fix. And, more importantly: why Roku isn't fixing the source of those problems):

Clear the cache (fixes random reboots)
Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (Clears cache & tv reboots itself. Be patient. It takes 2-3 minutes for the tv to go black, and come back on)

I don't think this will help. But, it wouldn't hurt to try. In this case, I believe you want to do it while the tv is waiting for you to proceed with the non-recovery.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Commenting on the "Mythical" Cache Clear procedure

Since there seems to be an effort by Roku to Poo-Poo the idea that the procedure described as "Cache Clear" is pertinent, I undertook to perform a very simple test.  I executed the procedure known as "Cache Clear" on my own Sharp/Roku TV set.  I compared it to the POWER-> RESET procedure which is available through the control menu.

Cache Clear Procedure - 94 seconds to execute.  The first 29 seconds occur with a locked-out set, followed by a 65 second procedure which appears to be the Power -> Reset procedure.

Power -> Reset Procedure - 65 seconds.

My basic assessment is that the "Clear Cache" process is doing something far deeper and more time consuming than the Power reset procedure.

It is also my assessment that this procedure, whatever it is, is important enough for the ROKU firmware to recgnize it and specifically execute a defined process in response to the fairly arcane keystroke pattern. 

Bottom Line:  In my opinion, it does something important, and profound, and, its there because it is intended to be there to do something.  Ridicule the users for their terminology, if you will, but then, please tell us what it is actually called, and what its full purpose actually is.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@Harvini wrote:

Cache Clear Procedure - 94 seconds to execute.  The first 29 seconds occur with a locked-out set, followed by a 65 second procedure which appears to be the Power -> Reset procedure. Power -> Restart Procedure - 65 seconds.

That's what I noticed too. I didn't time it. But, there were a couple of times I was thinking "oh no, I shouldn't have done that. I've wrecked it. Why did I do that?" (It was taking so much longer than a restart).

There was definitely something different happening. And, we've seen people post saying it fixed a problem factory reset, power restart, unplugging (other sacrificial offerings) didn't help. It was AMAZING to me that Roku thought the most important thing to share to Business Insider was "there is no cache [(eye roll) silly customers]." (More interesting that BI didn't have the journalistic integrity to ask more questions.).

My negative respect for this company grows by every interaction.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Lembeck

Re: recovery loop solution from Tech support

Hold the RESET button for approximately 12 seconds. When the reset cycle completes, the status indicator comes on dim. 

Release the RESET button. The TV is now powered off. Turn on the TV and proceed through Guided Setup.

0 Kudos