Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitchman333
Level 8

TCL Roku TV keeps rebooting (unusable)

Jump to solution

Hello

I've had this TV for 3+ years without issue, actually really like the TCL Roku TV setup.  Yesterday (Nov 16th)  was the first time I noticed the typical Roku start up screen kept appearing, it would go black, TCL light on front of TV blinks, starts all over again.

As if a boot up process is stuck.  I searched around these forums and finally tried unplugging every input (hdmi, usb, spdf, etc) and conducted a Reset of the TV.  After a log setup process, it worked as expected for about 7 hours only to find the problem coming back.  I've tried all 3 HDMI inputs with no luck.

My gut tells me a software update did not go well and the tv is struggling.

TCL 50FS3800 50-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2015 Model)

I wanted to log this so Roku support (and Tanner) can see a new similar ticket and maybe a pattern forms.  Thanks. 

-  Mitchman

UPDATE (Nov 17th)
Unplugged everything, Reset the Roku, went through setup and I deleted the Disney+ app.  Was able to watch TV for about 3 hours.  Turned off, came home late morning, turn on TV - loop again.  This is a Roku software IMO.  Anyone know how to disable the ROKU operating system, I just need the HDMI inputs to work, I'll abandon the Roku features at this point....?   I wonder if after a successful setup, I disable any Internet connectivity for this TCL TV.  Prevent any unwanted software updates from Roku.

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: TCL Roku TV keeps rebooting (unusable)

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

We have an update to share. Please follow the steps outlined here to help update your device:
https://support.roku.com/article/115012351368

This should help get things back on track for your device. Please let us know if you are still encountering an issue after performing a system update. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@cbmusic  Thanks for the info. I took a look and it appears that you need to check for a manual system update on each TV once more. There should be a newer system update available. 

@everyone

This issue can present itself even if you don't own a Nintendo Switch, but one is present in the environment around you within wireless range. You may need to try checking for system updates at very off hours, such as late night or early morning in order to apply the system update. 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
You do not need to own a Nintendo Switch to potentially be experiencing this issue. This can occur even if there is a Nintendo Switch within wireless range of your Roku device. Please see the solution above. You'll need to unplug your TV, and try performing a software update again during off-hours, when the Nintendo device isn't in use. This should help clear up the issue.
Please see more information here:
https://support.roku.com/article/115012351368

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@KA-100  @OliPastas 

Thanks for reaching out. Please send me a private message with more information about the issue you are running into, including your Roku account email address. If you could please include a detailed description of exactly what is occurring, what steps you take when seeing this behavior, and if possible, a link to a short video clip showing the issue occurring. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

0 Kudos
57 Replies
wolffrench
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've had the same issue, but on 2 separate televisions, from different manufacturers.  The first is a Sharp 43" that started the November 15, around 7 AM.  I was able to clear the cache (home button 5 times, up arrow once, then rewind twice then fast forward twice) and this seemed to help, but the activity strated back several hours later.  I ended up doing a Factory reset only to have the behavior start up again about an hour after setting it up.

The morning of Nov 16, I noticed my 2nd television, a TCL Roku television, started the same sequence, boot up, splash screen, then power down before showing the main menu screen.  

I was finally able to catch the menu on this one and I uninstalled Disney+, it's the last app that was installed before this started happening.  I thought this worked, because both sets stayed powered on with no interruptions. My Sharp started up again.

I unplugged the Sharp for several hours, was able to catch into the settings menu and do a plain reset, so far, for about 6 hours it has been fine.

I believe it could be the update that was pushed, or maybe the new theme - Avengers, Disney+ caused an issue, not sure.  This was the 1st and only post I've seen on the reboots happening this week, and wanted to put my experience out there.

Murphygirl
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have a TCL Roku TV and am stuck in the same loop currently. I have tried all the same things, but with no success. I can’t even get it to do a factory reset without crashing.
0 Kudos
bearchild
Level 7

Jump to solution
Checking in to say I’m having the same problem. My TCL Roku is 32” and probably 4-5 years old, and the issues started while I was watching Disney+ last night. Now I’m stuck in a loop where it starts to turn on but won’t fully get to the home screen before crashing and going back to the Roku logo. Won’t stay on long enough to accept a factory reset. I suspect either Disney+ or the Avengers theme is the problem because these are the only things new to my device, but I can’t be sure.
AndrewS1865
Level 7

Jump to solution
This is also happening to me. I downloaded the Disney+ on 11/12. It worked perfectly well for a few days, then on 11/15 the Roku tv began to automatically restart in a loop as soon as it was turned on. I unplugged the power cord to do a hard reset and that seemed to work as I was able to use it for a few hours. I turned it on today, 11/16, to find the same issue. This time the hard reset has not yielded results. In fact, the screen will no longer turn on. All I see is the red power button flashing on and off.
I hope this is resolved soon.
0 Kudos
wolffrench
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've been unplugging mine for a few hours, and this lets it come back to the main menu.

On power up after plugging it in, it will reboot once more, then it goes to the Home screen.

I have set both of my televisions to start up then open up antennae, it's in the power options.

This seems to help - although just a little.

I noticed last night this started over when I was watching the YouTube App, and the video I was watching froze, then the television entered into this reboot cycle.
The television had been on for several hours with no issues up to this point.

I unplugged it, left it over night, then powered it on this morning, and was able to stop the cycle.

Unplugging mine for only a few minutes DIDN'T WORK, I had to leave it for at several hours each time.  An hour may work, but I haven't timed it or tried just an hour.

There needs to be a fix added for this, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.
It is frustrating

I did notice there was ANOTHER theme added on reboot this morning - a Disney+ theme. 

Could this be the themes being pushed causing this?
This never happens on other themes that have been installed/added automatically - i.e. Halloween, Christmas, Spring.

May not be related to Disney+, but that's the last app I installed this week.

0 Kudos
RascalV
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, I have 2 TCL 40" with the exact issue.  Was just able to return to the factory settings on the 17th with just a few reboot cycles and locking up every time.  This morning on the 18 I was able to reload everything streaming apps and OTA channels and then they both went back to the reboot and restart and lockup cycles.  I do not recommend the factory reset at this point because it is a lengthy process to load everything back and I guess delete the old streaming accounts off the services take care when adding the reset account to make sure to pick the existing TV off the menu and not add a new one since it remembers the apps you had loaded and hopefully the accounts and passwords as well.  I would not reset to factory and hope for a fix without it. 

Other Visio and Amazon Stick works fine even Disney + on the stick.

0 Kudos
HTJSoccerMom
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same here, Nintendo switch hasn't been charged or on in a week. I called Sharp and they want me to take the TVs to a repair place.. no way!. This issue has to do with the Disney+ update/screensaver..  I haven't downloaded the Disney+ app or any apps in a year or so and now I haven't been able to use my TVs since Friday, Both in a perpetual loop for 72hrs.. Please help it's Football Sunday.

0 Kudos
indyHarcourt
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with two different Roku TV's.  One TV built by Sharp, one by TCL.  They both stopped working today.   The continue to reboot.

I installed the Disney app yesterday.  

Coincidence?

HTJSoccerMom
Level 8

Jump to solution

So thanks MitchMan, 

I got a break in the reboot loop (total of 9 hours today) and was able to reset network connection, after a reboot the RokuTV forgets my home wifi. Using Firestick now to watch Netflix and it hasn't rebooted yet. 30 minutes in and crossed fingers.. I will keep checking the thread to see if Roku sends an update. 

Thank goodness for Free Phone Football!