Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

TCL Roku TV doesn’t have Audio Leveling / Night Mode

I have a Hisense Roku TV, nothing attached, 9.2 update and I also do not have The volume leveling options. 

Will the volume leveling feature be added to existing Roku TVs as an update? Or will it only be included with new Roku TVs?

8 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TCL Roku TV doesn’t have Audio Leveling / Night Mode

@apakhik 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 8

The following is my system info you requested.  
Roku TV brand and model #: Hisense 8221X

-serial number: YK000M548659
-device ID: QYM060548659
-software OS/version: 9.4.0.40

0 Kudos
Level 8

This feature was removed from Roku TVs with version 9.2. We were never given a reason and support for this features on roku tvs was scrubbed from all documentation as if it never existed.

This feature will NEVER come back. Buy a Sony TV if you need volume leveling. They have android TV built in. Roku employees will confirm that the feature is officially gone by not replying and never giving you an answer.

They will also mention volume modes which is an entirely different feature and shows that they dont know what they are talking about.

Level 8

How dare you close this thread! 
I am so angry with Roku right now I can barely put a response together without cussing. Please tell me that Roku is not actually trying to make it look like all these people telling them that their Roku’s don’t have a volume leveling feature has been solved by just closing the thread?! It’s the internet, Roku, it’s all still out there! Either send an update with the volume leveling feature to every Roku customer, or stop falsely advertising that your products have volume leveling!

Level 8

Roku ignored that thread for years. They will not give you an answer. They will possibly give some canned response such as "please restart your TV" and mark the thread as fixed and then go missing again. I used to recommend Roku to everyone. I will never make that mistake again.

Level 8

I can't believe they closed out the other volume leveling thread. How dishonest. You have a bunch of Roku users coming together trying to gain support for a much-needed feature. You close it out without it ever having been addressed? Really poor customer service.

Level 7

My TCL Roku TV has the same issue.  Details are as follows:

TCL 75R615

Ser # YS00FC258350

Dev ID L4V03F258350

Software ver 9.4.0 - Build 4200-30

We have a JBL soundbar connected via the HDMI-ARC port, but even if I turn on TV internal speakers, the audio leveling options aren't available.  

This is the most extremely frustrating thing watching this TV right now.  Dialog is so low that you have to rurn it up to hear and then BAM action scene, etc is so loud it's deafening.  Please give us some feedback if this is ever going to get fixed.

Level 9

@GaSou93 wrote:

My TCL Roku TV has the same issue.  Details are as follows:

TCL 75R615

Ser # YS00FC258350

Dev ID L4V03F258350

Software ver 9.4.0 - Build 4200-30

We have a JBL soundbar connected via the HDMI-ARC port, but even if I turn on TV internal speakers, the audio leveling options aren't available.  

This is the most extremely frustrating thing watching this TV right now.  Dialog is so low that you have to rurn it up to hear and then BAM action scene, etc is so loud it's deafening.  Please give us some feedback if this is ever going to get fixed.

Definitely agree that there should be some feedback about this. But, it came to mind the other day: I wonder if auto sound leveling raises any issues with advertisers. I'm confident ads are loud because they're more effective that way. Probably some research shows more people are likely to buy [whatever] when the ad volume is jarring, and stands out to them. Or, the viewer can't escape to the kitchen for a bowl of popcorn without hearing the ad.

I bet there's some kind of greediness involved in this topic. Advertisers probably demanded paying less if the volume is automatically adjusted. (Or, streaming channels have it in their carriage agreements that middle-man won't allow ad blocking. The volume thing might fall into that.).

I can't think of any other reason why they'd remove it. IMO, I think all this stuff begs for regulation. Back in the early days of TV 1.0 (1950s?) subliminal messaging was discovered and used, to subconsciously reach people. Many countries banned it. (I thought the US did, but maybe not.). There were game shows that were rigged (entertainment vs reality was blurred). Issues of fairness like this were controversial and led to regulations. 

We're in TV 2.0 now. Similar gray areas exist. Unexpected inroads into your privacy (and mind). Your tv experience affects others (when your neighbors can hear the commercial). I wouldn't discount the validity of filing FTC complaints; state attorneys general complaints; complaining to senators and congress people. If there was enough public outcry about consumers treated as commodities, not having the right to control the volume of advertisements, maybe consumer protections would exist. (That's how such protections come into being. The public has to raise it as an issue.).  The libertarian view is to not watch streaming. Vote with your feet. That's definitely worth doing too. But, we don't always rely solely on that leverage. Some things are considered out of bounds.

This is another example of why I wish there was an official issue tracker. We don't know why leveling was removed. The issue has been raised by many. We don't know if it's ignored because it has to be this way, or if it's under review, being redeveloped, etc. We're completely ignorant. Everyone could be wasting their time, raising their blood pressure unnecessarily, complaining about something that Roku will never do anything about. We don't know. That's bound to cause a worse reputation than openly, honestly addressing the issue (even if it's not what we want to hear).

"[Roku CEO] Wood’s goal is to control video access to the world — to be the 'one box that rules them all.'" (Techcrunch, February 23, 2011). Roku's latest update removed any doubt who rules & controls my TV.