Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjbarry
Level 7

TCL Roku TV and multiple accounts

I have a rental property that I will be using periodically.  I bought two TCL Roku TV and want to establish a Visitor Account (using the guest mode is not feasible) when guest are there and use my personal account when I'm there.  For the visitor account I obviously don't want them to have the capability to buy channels or movies.  If my assumption is correct the visitors would also be able to sign into their own Roku while there, correct?

Is there anything that would prevent that and or other suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: TCL Roku TV and multiple accounts

@mjbarry wrote:

I have a rental property that I will be using periodically.  I bought two TCL Roku TV and want to establish a Visitor Account (using the guest mode is not feasible) when guest are there and use my personal account when I'm there.  For the visitor account I obviously don't want them to have the capability to buy channels or movies.  If my assumption is correct the visitors would also be able to sign into their own Roku while there, correct?

Is there anything that would prevent that and or other suggestions?

Mainly the problem is there is no account logout ability on a Roku. The only way to remove an account is to factory reset the device. That means there's no way to have a simple login/logout on the device. Unfortunately, Guest Mode is the only option available to you with a Roku.

Now yes, you could create a user account specific to that device. You could add a PIN to block anyone from adding channels or making any purchases from Roku. However, any channel you install will be accessible by your guests. If those channels have no internal way of blocking purchases or requiring a PIN, then that's likely not feasible. 

Now many of the channels do allow user login/logout. But that would be tedious for a guest to remember to log themselves out of any channel that they logged into with their own credentials. And some channels require a computer to authenticate the login process. If your property doesn't have Internet access, that too could be problematic. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos