Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flonner
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

I wouldn't let this turn you off from smart TV's in  general, just TCL/Roku.  First TCL I've ever had / Roku TV, thought it would be descent as I have 2 other Roku devices and the reviews of TCL have been top notch.  If it wasn't for this issue and the absoulte terrible customer service that has gone along with it from both companies, I'd have been pretty happy overall.  But after this I'll be going back to Samsung or LG, the few extra bucks you spend on them is really worth the peace of mind.  As for Roku, I'll be going to Nvidia Shield on any of the non smart TV's I have in the future and call it a wrap.

0 Kudos
USCG-Retired
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The TCLs I got were pretty darned cheap compared to the competition. At this point it’s only a Netflix app issue on the sets, everything else seems fine. If they could roll back whatever they pushed in their last update it might fix the problem.

its definitely not a Netflix or a Roku issue though. 

0 Kudos
wolverine989
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It’s not only Netflix, but the exact behavior is happening for me with the Spectrum TV app. It works everywhere else and used to work fine on the TCL TVs, but no more.

0 Kudos
Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I wouldn't rule this out as a Roku problem.  Seems like it is more than a TCL issue as other built in Roku smart TV's are having the same issue.  But the fact remains that TCL/Netflix/Roku and any other company affected by this issue has a vested interest in correcting the problem.  

0 Kudos
l8erg8er
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue as everyone else, on Roku TVs and Roku Sticks.  The only TV I have not affected is an old LG smart TV.  So that automatically puts this problem squarely back onto Roku to Netflix and vice-versa. It's not limited to TCL Roku TVs.

0 Kudos
JD2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It’s 100% NOT a TCL problem. I have a built in roku smart tv by sharp and TCL, both of them do not work with Netflix. Constant buffering. I’m not a technician, but whatever the software that is used in the “built in” roku smart TVs, that is the issue. My other roku TVs have stand-alone sticks plugged into the tv. Those have no problem. I really hope this is fixed by roku or Netflix or the both of them together, bc it’s their problem. 

0 Kudos
artfulpanda
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm thinking its about time we start taking this thread to social media see if we can get some faster resolution this is ridiculous

Bobbyt

Jump to solution

We are seeing a similar problem on two televisions.  A TCL Roku 4k tv and a Element Roku HD tv  Problem started about a month ago (Jan 2020).  Have watched this way for year's without a problem. 

Problem is Netflix shows play for 1 to 2 minutes, then buffers, climbing 2-3 percent every few seconds.  Most times it hangs at 99 percent.   We do not see this problem with YouTube TV, Disney+, Amazon, hbo now, Roku tv.  Only Netflix

Tried the uninstall and restart tv, didn't help

What has worked for us so far is to go to Netflix and downgrade our account to medium quality, instead of 4K.  

Bandwidth test on Roku says excellent wifi, with 38 MB/sec.  Other devices get 600MB+

I also use a Orbi router

0 Kudos
jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It has now been 4 days of normal streaming with my TCL 6 series/Orbi Lan.  I have no idea why this problem seems resolved for me.  I have been in contact with TCL, Netflix, Roku, & ISP as many.  No one owns the problem.  No Roku update shown since the problem one on Jan 28, 2020.  Anyone else see improvement?

0 Kudos
l8erg8er
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No improvement here.

0 Kudos