Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elisny
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

Bingo.   Same here.   I attribute the issue with how ROKU is installed on the TCL TV.   I believe there are just some "lemon" TCL TVs.  I have two TCL TVs and one works fine, the other I have a buffering problem with select apps, but if I put in a Roku stick it works fine.  Also, if I restart the buffering app for a period of time, it ends up working okay.   

0 Kudos
elisny
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You experience is similar to mine.  The app I am having trouble with (and it is the only app I have trouble with) does not work on ONE of my TCL Roku TV's, but works via a ROKU stick in another type of TV and even in the defective TCL TV.  This suggest there is a ROKU software issue on some ROKU TVs. 

0 Kudos
mouthgravy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I gave up on Roku support after ignoring multiple help requests and being ignored on every single one, even AFTER I tried to tell them TCL came to do onsite repair because of the messed up Roku and that did not work. Roku is the one to blame for this garbage not TCL, ISP or Channel. I will not give another penny to Roku or buy another TV with Roku in it. I certainly wouldn't give Roku money for a for a Roku stick. Roku is trash and does not belong. Why purchase a TV if you have to purchase additional things and take up one of the 2 valuable HDMI ports when Roku should have gotten it right.... STILL WAITING ON some kind of answer/support from Roku which I have been asking for over 5 months.

0 Kudos
TommyBoy1

Jump to solution

I have been using my TCL Roku TV for months and no issues with Netflix until a week ago. No buffering issues with any other channel or deviceS running Netflix. This is a TCL issue. Thinking the situation traffic may have forced a change in Netflix broadcast that conflicts with TCL settings. 

0 Kudos
Lesdmac
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’ve been having this issue for a week. tcl tv, issue only on spectrum app, google mesh. 

0 Kudos
jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have a TCL series 6 set and use Spectrum and have not had any buffering issues for over 2 months.

0 Kudos
DeliriuM
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a TCL 65R625.  This TV previously worked great with Netflix for several months.  Admittedly I took a break from Netflix for a while and was watching programming on other apps for a bit.  But recently went back to watching some shows on Netflix.  It is currently unbearable on Netflix.  And only on my TCL.  No issues on my LG TV (native app) or on my Panasonic TV using a FireTV box.  I have AT&T Gigapower and am pulling in excess of 750 Mbps of downstream bandwidth.  My TCL is connected via wired ethernet (I have tried wireless as well as seen the issue there too).  All other streamer apps are having no issues on the TCL.  But Netflix is either constantly buffering, freezing, or losing sound on all of the Dolby Vision streams.  In a one hour program you will see it 20-30 times.  When it freezes up I have to back it up a couple 10s blocks and hit play to get it to resume.  It will never resume on its own.  I know there is plenty of network bandwidth available and as I mentioned all the other apps are streaming just fine (including Dolby Vision content).  This is specific to Netflix and specific to the TCL TV.  As everybody else has mentioned this merits a serious investigation by both Roku and TCL.  Something is seriously wrong with the Netflix app on RokuTV right now.

I also tried Tanner's advice to delete Netflix, reboot the TV, and reinstall.  No change to the behavior.  Is there any way to go back to an older version of the Netflix app to test that?

@RokuTannerD 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DeliriuM 

Thanks for the information.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Netflix directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Netflix channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.netflix.com/en/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aem
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I just want to echo @DeliriuM  I have the same series TV, only the 55" variant and I'm having the exact same issue. The problem only started for me a few weeks ago. Wired high speed connection, no issues anywhere else. 4k Dolby programs randomly buffer throughout, audio dropouts and random stops with the error code tvq-pb101(3.1.15).

0 Kudos
Mphlem

Jump to solution

I have a TCL 55R625 with the same issue. All other applications work just fine. I've been casting Netflix off my phone as it has become unbearable to watch on Roku. Considering this only began to happen after the auto-update to build 9.3.0 4170-88 around 10 days ago, I don't think this is a point the finger at Netflix issue. It's not like this is some indie streaming app that is off on the fringes of the channel store, but rather an application that occupies its own button on my remote. 

It's not my job as a consumer to mediate between Roku and Netflix, nor should it be. So, thanks for directing us toward Netflix's consumer hotline, but I'm not the one making a living off porting the app to Roku's platform and making sure they play well together.

There are multiple threads filing up with the same complaint on the same devices, so I'd say a more appropriate response is we are elevating this issue up to support and awaiting reply.