Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlittman
Streaming Star

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

My buffering problem on Netflix was gone for 1 week.  Back tonight.   Issue # 97-076-382.  Orbi RBR50 & RBS50.  TCL 65R617.  Ethernet connected Roku speed 55 Mbps and download speed measured at router 112 Mbps.  Negear Armor off.

Jon

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Trying to watch Netflix, but watching just as much buffering as programming.

roku issue #

97-077-247

97-077-249

97-077-251

97-077-266

97-077-269

97-077-271

97-077-274

97-077-276

again TCLS217, Orbi RBR & RBS 50, no Netgear Armor, problem when TV attached directly with modem via ethernet, problem started after 01/28/2020 Roku update, only Netflix effected.

@RokuTannerD 

0 Kudos
m_c_meyer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No changes on my side.

Using an Asus AI Mesh system. Main router is RT-AC5200, mesh node is a RT-AC68U. 

ID 89-077-385

0 Kudos
Tikizen

Jump to solution

Not working for me either 65” series 4. Solid GB fiber speeds. 
All other apps work fine

Netflix fine elsewhere. 
min fact I have a series 5 55” that works no problem with Netflix. 

this is a Roku/TCL problem. TCL did hours of work with me with both TVs side by side and concluded it was roku and Roku did the same and concluded it was TCL

nothing has been fixed with this and NO one cares enough to help. 

im basically done with this TV and ROKU. I plugged a fire stick in my tv and it worked without issue. 

A level 1/2 could figure out this is not a Netflix problem. 

TCL swears they’re running up the chain. That was 4 days ago and nothing. same with Roku. It’s apparent I mean nothing as a customer so my choice is to post my experience everywhere and often in the hopes people will speak with their wallets. 

You can develop multi million dollars in software but just do not care enough to fix what you break then you blame each other and the consumer pays. 

jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My TCL 65s617 still can't stream Netflix via ethernet or wifi.  Just got an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, currently $35 on Amazon.  Not only does it stream flawlessly but the measured download speed in the Netflix app is 116Mbps compared with the 15 to 20 Mbps that the Netflix app measured within the native Roku TCL system.  It appears that neither TCL or Roku are interested in improving the situation.  It has now been a month.  I and many others have a TCL smart 4K set that doesn't play the premier source for streaming UHD and HD programming.  TCL and Roku have presently done little to help.  

[content edited per Guidelines] 

mtsjtb
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What I find most frustrating is that my TCL TV's were working fine with Netflix up until whatever changed in January. Clearly there is a software bug since the hardware was working before. This kind of thing should be trivial for them to identify, especially since the issue can be narrowed down to the changes in the most recent updates.

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jlittman 

Thanks for the details. Have you tried bypassing the Orbi units entirely, and connecting directly to your internet modem? If so, what is the make and model of modem?

Do you have a different brand/model of router to test with and see if this still occurs?

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your Orbi units and opt out of Armor during setup, to see if this clears up the issue?

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Plugging the TV(TCL 65s617) directly into the modem(arris touchstone 6183) via ethernet does not change anything.  Buffering issue still present.    In the back of my mind I think that the download speed measured within the Netflix app (15-20Mbps) is significant.  The same Netflix app measured speed using a Fire TV Stick4K is 116Mbps and no buffering is observed.

Jon

@RokuTannerD

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks @jlittman 

Could you please send me a private message with the Roku TV's serial number listed in Settings>System>About so we pass this information along to the team as they continue to investigate?

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
JD2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’ve posted a few times on here but wanted to add one thing. I have all my TVs hooked up to roku but 2 are built in roku tv’s. The one that has a problem is the sharp 55in roku tv. The smaller TCL for our kitchen is fine now, it has received no update since December but it was buffering and now that one is not. The only odd thing was Netflix had me log in again randomly on all devices. Maybe there was a Netflix update? It didn’t help the sharp though if so. We have netgear orbi as well and it doesn’t happen on the other TVs. No armor on, rebooted and reinstalled etc etc. i had to buy 100 ft Ethernet just to try direct connection with modem. I’m glad someone is asking questions but I’m not sure how it can be repeatedly asked about modem/router related setups when we have all plugged directly into the supplied modem by internet provider and everyone else’s devices were working fine until recently and continue to work fine for other streaming applications. I think asking the same modem/router questions over and over without maybe reading all these comments is frustrating for a lot of us as well. The answers have been given. It just seems like more time and effort is being put into who the blame can be shifted to, rather then address the problem directly. 

0 Kudos