Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukfigs
Binge Watcher

How to fix Netflix buffering on my TCL Roku TV

Jump to solution

Get continual buffering on Netflix on TCL 6 series Roku TV , hangs at various levels and I get the "sorry cant play this at this time message" occasionally. Have tried all of the web suggested fixes (reboot, reinstall, unplug etc.),with no effect. Does not happen on any other channel (youtubeTV, amazon, HBO, roku etc.).

TV is on 5ghz network with excellent signal strength and around 90 mbps internet speeds (netflix app only show 25 mbps). Plugged in a firetv stick to one of the hdmi ports on the TV with a wifi connection to the same 5 ghz channel and get no buffering on that netflix app and the app shows the 90 mbps internet speed. This buffering appeared to start a couple of months ago and is obviously something to do with the roku/netflix implementation on the TCL TV.

I have emailed support with zero response to date and would like to get this resolved as the selection of the roku TV was to make life simpler for the family (no input switching, one controller etc.).
Appreciate any advice on any solutions.
Thanks

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix Netflix buffering on my TCL Roku TV

Jump to solution

Thanks for continuing to reach out here! We are still working with our partners to investigate this issue and work towards better understanding and resolving it. We have a few more questions, and need some additional information (for those that haven't already provided additional details about their home network setup). Please provide the following information/details: 

- [If applicable] If you are using an Orbi mesh networking wireless router system, please try disabling the 'Armor' service/feature and then test streaming again. Does this clear up the buffering behavior and allow you to stream normally again? 

- If you are not using an Orbi, are you using another mesh wireless networking solution? If so, what is the specific brand and model?

- If you are not using a mesh networking system, what is the specific brand and model of wireless router (or router/modem, if ethernet) that you are connected to? Please specify whether you are connecting via wireless or ethernet. 

- If possible, please try connecting your TV to the internet via an ethernet cable. (Try both connecting directly to your router via ethernet, or to your internet modem separately, if possible.) Does this resolve the buffering issue and allow you to stream normally? 

- Please generate and issue report tracker ID when you observe this behavior by pressing the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly on your Roku remote. Include the specific model of Roku device or TV that you are using from Settings>System>About, along with this ID in your response. 

These additional details will assist us in continuing to look into this issue alongside our partners. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
krokdile
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

My TCL/ROKU television was having connection and buffering issue. Some apps such as Youtube was working but Netflix would buffer and hung up with error. The TV would indicate Network connection is working but there's no internet.

Solution is to check your router. Make sure port 5223, 20, 21 are working and not blocked.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
197 REPLIES 197
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution
Thanks for the note here. In general, if you are experiencing an issue that only affects one channel, it's likely something that the channel provider will need to address. Have you reached out to Netflix support to request additional assistance? 

We'd also recommend following up with the TV manufacturer directly to report the issue and request additional support. You can reach TCL directly here: https://support.tclusa.com/contact-us?contact_query=Please%20enter%20your%20question

Please keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer for you. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Having the exact same issue as above, same model.  Have a very good wired connection, Disney+ no issues, Amazon Prime no issues, have no issues using Netflix on any other device in the house, but Netflix on the TCL Roku TV keeps buffering every minute or so and then hangs at 99% for another minute or 2 making it absolutely impossible to use the Roku Netflix app.  For now I am using the TV as a monitor off my computer to stream Netflix, its an absolute pain and the rest of my family can't use it when I am not around...

dustinw82
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Having the same issues. Seems more recent. Netflix works everywhere else in the house. Just constant buffering on my TCL. 

Derodicus
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We started having the same experience on all of our Roku devices about a week ago.  No problems with any of the other streaming channels but constant buffering with Netflix.  I contacted their support and in the Netflix app you can go to settings, get help then test your connection.  On my Roku TVs I'm getting around 15 to 20 Mbps while my internet speed tests at around 700 Mbps.  Testing my wireless network speed from my phone I get around 200 Mbps.  Netflix informed that my speed was the issue and there was nothing they could do to help.  I connected one Roku TV using directly to my router with a network cable and it didn't improve the download test from the Netflix app, still around 20 Mbps.  Something very weird is going on. 

BPieseski
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a P605 and was having the Netflix keeps buffering issue (wired connection, no problem with Netflix on other devices).  What worked for me to fix this was to remove the netflix app, do a system restart of the TV and then reinstall the Netflix app.  Seems that has fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have done a full system reset twice and reinstalled Netflix twice and still having the same issue.  I think it has something to do with the Netflix app in the way that it throttles bandwidth.  I have a 100 Mbps internet connection yet in testing network speeds through the Netflix app I am only getting about 10% of that.  I am currently in a back and forth with TCL about the issue and they are in the process of trying to figure it out.  I'll update when I find out more.

Derodicus
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm anxious to see if a solution is found. This has been frustrating. 

Baboo6
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Also having the same issue on both a TCL Roku TV and a Roku 3. Constant buffering, hanging on 99% forever, etc... 

Both devices are hardwired. Disney+, HBO GO, Amazon Prime, etc all work fine. Netflix also running fine with no buffering on iPads, iPhones, and computers.

Seems to have started a couple weeks ago - very frustrating.

Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am surprised that this issue isn't getting more attention.  The last email I received from TCL in summary said that I should contact my ISP and check my router settings because Netflix on the TCL Roku isn't getting the required bandwidth... So after I palmed my forehead, I sent them two more emails explaining how I can run 3 Netflix apps at 4K HDR simultaneously on other devices in the house while downloading and doing pretty much whatever I want, bandwidth and router settings are a non issue...  The issue is specifically with the Netflix app on the TCL Roku TV throttling bandwidth for some weird reason.  Anyways if I find out more I'll let you know.  It was a pretty disappointing email from TCL given the previous one actually sounded like they were actually listening to my issue and were going to do something.