Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukfigs
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

Spent a year trying to get this fixed with Roku, TCL, Netflix and have about given up as TCL has gone completely silent on my tech support case. It is so obviously an issue with this TV/Roku implementation as every other app works fine and a roku stick or firestick plugged into one of the HDMI works fine. The TCL 615 has not has an OS update since Dec 2019 yet my other TCL Roku TV has had multiple updates just this last month. The Netflix app on my roku stick and the firestick both show later dates/versions also. I am just hoping that behind the scenes this will be fixed when the 9.3 OS update hits this TV model as the TV itself is very good.

0 Kudos
cmatthews27
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Kicking myself for buying the Hisense Roku TV and buying into the Roku OS in that case. 

I should have just opted for a non-Roku 4K HDR TV and bought a Google Chromecast Ultra.

I have no issues whatsoever streaming any content through my Google Chromecast, but the Netflix channel on Roku is terrible. At first I thought it was just 4K & HDR content. But last night watching The Last Kingdom, which is just HD, I had frequent audio drops and lag. So I switched to my Chromecast and all was well, no issues at all.

Netflix is showing me 34Mbps - it can't be a bandwidth issue. Nightmare.

0 Kudos
mouthgravy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My eyes got really opened when I used the fire stick. I knew my xbox was capable. But the Firestick works GREAT. I Will never ever ever purchase a smart TV with onboard ROKU. TCL and ROKU have no clue what the issue is at least TCL will provide some support in including have a onsite repair come and replace the board in the TV or even if it is useless exercises like "take picture or send video short" Roku has not even bothered to answer any of my 5 support requests. They do not even respond to them. Roku is useless.

That is for you Tanner.. Thanks for nothing.

0 Kudos
perryhopeless
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I was one of the folks to originally re-raise this issue and post on this thread several months ago.

Problem has been fixed for me for at least a month now. Weird that it isnt consistently fixed for everyone.

Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Being the second poster on the thread (5 months ago) still nothing resolved, still the same issue...  I pretty much gave up.  TCL contacted me again about a week ago after not having heard from them in a couple of months.  I told them that I gave up and just wouldn't be buying another Roku/TCL device ever again. 

I like the TCL TV but the onboard Roku is straight up hot garbage.  Roku customer service is equally bad, TCL CS same.  Netflix CS seems willing to look into the issue but it really isn't their problem, it's squarely an issue with Roku and it's an issue for any TV manufacturer that has the onboard Roku...

So my hat is  off to Roku and TCL [& all these TV manufacturers that use the onboard Roku] for delivering simply the worst experience I've ever had of any product I've ever purchased!

jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I first reported have this problem beginning of February.  The problem went away for me the first week in March.  I am using a TCL617, Motorola SB6823, Orbi 50 network, and a relatively low speed internet 100 Mbps (Spectrum.)  If anyone is interested I can list my TCL Roku and Netflix versions.

Jon

0 Kudos
m_c_meyer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My issue went away when I increased the distance between my Asus mesh router and mesh node.  In fact, almost all of my wireless issues also went away.  Too make sure, I also hardwired the TV with ethernet cable to the main router.  Works great now!

0 Kudos
jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

When I was having issues in February, they were occurring whether the my TCL617 was connected to my Orbi via wireless or ethernet.  In fact the problem was occurring even when the tv was connected directly into my modem eliminating the router entirely.

0 Kudos
charleyrich
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have same issue on my TCL 615. It is connected via a wired cat 6 ethernet cable. TCL reports a 70 Mbps connection, but Netflix reports only 20 and it buffers.

Has any solution for this been achieved? 

0 Kudos
mouthgravy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Buy an Amazon Firestick for around $50 or cheaper. Put it in HDMI 1. After setup the only downside is Paying more money for software other than Roku and having to use 2 remotes to change inputs. You will get 70mbps+then on Netflix.

0 Kudos