Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amyo1016

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

we have 3 Roku TCL TV’s and Roku sticks that we stream on. Use Comcast for internet and have a Linksys Velop system. Netflix is still not loading after multiple attempts of resetting, restarting, and reinstalling. We have now started using amazon fire sticks and will never buy another Roku device. This is ridiculous. 

mouthgravy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Reply to original post:

@RokuTannerD 

Not necessarily.  Amazon never displayed "UHD" like it does when streaming on xbox since TV purchase on 4k shows until after I received an app update yesterday (3-13-20) specifically for Amazon on the TCL. I did not take note of that because Amazon would not tell me that it was not UHD on the TV prior to the update yesterday. I just assumed it was displaying in UHD because I have Dolby Vision notification turned on and even though both notifications of UHD and Dolby Vision would notify me while using the Xbox while not while streaming through Roku.

I believe Amazon has stronger servers than Netflix because the quality of the picture on Amazon through the TCL were close to matching the Xbox. Amazon could also have lower requirements for streaming 4k. With the TCL 55R617 the onboard network card can only pull at max 100mbps (I typically test out at 75-90mbps) I believe there is a hardware to software bottleneck happening as my personal network tests out at average 450mbps.  I have been tasked with sending TCL a series of video shorts of what I am experiencing. While I do have a warranty, I was fortunate to get a TCL that did not have banding issues in the panel so I am reluctant to send it back to play the "lottery" again like the reports on Amazon.

I have reached out to Netflix, but before that I had to reach my ISP to test me out. They came checked the lines and explained that my network is great then offered to replace my modem "even though I did not need it" and I accepted.  Netflix among all the parties involved was the only provider so far to acknowledge the depth of my troubleshooting and did not repeatedly tell me to call someone else, Netflix had promised they would independently look into the issue. 

Please advise of a different solution. Is there a way to bypass this problem without keeping my Xbox powered on 100% of the time my TV is being used. Is there a different hardware or software option? I want to keep the TV but I also want to use Netflix 4k until the correct firmware or software update releases. Thanks,'

MG.

0 Kudos
mouthgravy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Amyo1016,

Does the Amazon Fire Stick by-pass Roku Software and the TCL on board hardware? If so how do you set it up to Bypass it and stream directly to it? are they P'n'P or do you still have to use TCL Network card? I think there is a bottleneck between hardware on TCL to Software in Roku causing this issue. Netflix is very aware that TCL Roku is having issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kmshana

Jump to solution

The same thing is happening only on Netflix. Did all the recommended fixes it’s so frustrating! 

0 Kudos
leonbrink77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having the exact same issue. It is highly frustrating. None of the suggested fixes is working.

0 Kudos
mouthgravy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

If you are willing. Pay $50 for an Amazon Firestick. It is pretty much plug and play. Unfortunately you will have to use both remotes to switch input settings. But you will now get 4K without having to use you XBOX X or PS4.  I know it sucks. But frankly so does the Roku implementation on the 6 series TCL's

0 Kudos
ukfigs
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

A Roku stick in the same TCL TV works fine with no buffering issues. I have contacted Roku and TCL multiple times with no resolution. It is something to do with the Roku/Netflix implementation on the 6 series TV as I do not have the same issue with another TCL Roku TV in another room. The Roku operating systems are the same across the systems but the versions of Netflix are different.

cmatthews27
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hisense Roku TV R55B7120UK. Netflix buffers/stutters and audio drops on my Sonos Beam. Seems to happen with 4K HDR content. No other streaming channels have the issue. Surely this has to have a formal response from Roku! It needs fixing ASAP.

I can stream the same show through my Google Chromecast without issue. So it is systemic to the Netflix Roku app.

Highly frustrating !!

Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

We've all been dealing with this issue for months...  It doesn't appear that anyone from Roku is too concerned.

leonbrink77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This has been such a pain in the backside. I am thinking of just getting rid of all three of my Roku's and stream on my Chromecast. That has been working just fine.

0 Kudos