Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix Netflix buffering on my TCL Roku TV

Jump to solution

Thanks for continuing to reach out here! We are still working with our partners to investigate this issue and work towards better understanding and resolving it. We have a few more questions, and need some additional information (for those that haven't already provided additional details about their home network setup). Please provide the following information/details: 

- [If applicable] If you are using an Orbi mesh networking wireless router system, please try disabling the 'Armor' service/feature and then test streaming again. Does this clear up the buffering behavior and allow you to stream normally again? 

- If you are not using an Orbi, are you using another mesh wireless networking solution? If so, what is the specific brand and model?

- If you are not using a mesh networking system, what is the specific brand and model of wireless router (or router/modem, if ethernet) that you are connected to? Please specify whether you are connecting via wireless or ethernet. 

- If possible, please try connecting your TV to the internet via an ethernet cable. (Try both connecting directly to your router via ethernet, or to your internet modem separately, if possible.) Does this resolve the buffering issue and allow you to stream normally? 

- Please generate and issue report tracker ID when you observe this behavior by pressing the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly on your Roku remote. Include the specific model of Roku device or TV that you are using from Settings>System>About, along with this ID in your response. 

These additional details will assist us in continuing to look into this issue alongside our partners. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
CrewJones

Jump to solution

Thanks for this post. Im having the same issue and I'm extremely frustrated. As you stated, all other streaming channels are working fine aside from Netflix -- the largest provider of streaming content in existence.

I don't accept the answer given below by the Roku Community Manager. If there's an issue with a single channel, a compatibility issue or similar, then it needs to be addressed at both ends of the street. It's not Netflix responsibility to make sure the architecture of the roku interface is sound. Netflix gives the same deliverable to each hardware client -- Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast-- all of which function perfectly.

Regarding TCL -- it's not a hardware issue, and it's not your (the user's) responsibility to go on a wild goose chase contacting the manufacturers and responsible partys.

Roku -- stop passing the buck and be accountable for your user's experience. Fix it. Get it done.

jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hello:

Hope this helps.  My buffering issue on Netflix mysteriously cleared up about 4 days ago and started approximately the last Roku update on Jan 28, 2020.  I have a TCL 65s217 and an Orbi rbr/rbs 50 network.  I do NOT use the Netgear Armor.  The buffering issue occurred whether I used the 2.4G, 5G, Ethernet connection from the router.  The problem also occured when I plugged the ethernet cable directly into my Arris 8163 modem bypassing the Orbi entirely.  One fact I found along with others is that the download speed reported in the Netflix app is much slower than measured via the Roku platform and by Fast.com from the ethernet cable.

Netflix 17 Mbps

Roku    60 Mbps

Fast.com 110Mbps

Probably not useful but I generated a tracking report  ID 97-071-909

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
Scruyffydog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have Orbi Mesh system   I didnt even know i had the armor service   it must have been free for a while  anyway it says expired    is it possible it changed any of the ports or other settings in the orbi to cause the problem   I have rebooted multiple times with no success?   Ethernet from cable modem to tv makes no difference    i'm  on a 400Mbs download speed

0 Kudos
JD2
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

No improvement here as well. I had an update on 2/13/20 Software 9.2.6 Build:5201, my previous update was from Dec. Unfortunately, it has not fixed the problem with Netflix. 

0 Kudos
Derodicus
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

About four days ago Netflix just started working again. The download test is still slow but it doesn't seem to be causing an issue. I made no changes and Orbi Armor is still running. Not sure why it started working after not for almost a month.

0 Kudos
dustinw82
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Still buffering for me. Netflix is basically unwatchable. I doubt I will consider Roku and TCL for any of my future purchases. 

wolverine989
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I turned off the Armor security on my Orbi mesh system and so far I’m not seeing the buffering while watching the Spectrum TV app on the 2 TCL Roku TVs so far. I’ve got one more TV to try. I’ll continue to monitor.

0 Kudos
Lfcgt

Jump to solution

I’ve tried everything listed here and still facing this issue.

I have an Orbi but it says my Armor has expired and there’s no option to do anything but renew my Armor service so I assume that means it’s off.

I normally have the TV connected is Ethernet but have tried wireless as well and have the same issue either way.

Internet speed clearly being degraded somehow - Speedtest on my phone or computer reads 220+ mbps, checking network on Roku settings reads 75-80 mbps (with Ethernet connection), Netflix app connection check reads 15-22 mbps.

Issue ID 29-075-928. TCL Roku TV model 65R617.  Roku TV 7131X, software version 9.2.0 build 4502-30. 

@RokuTannerD 

0 Kudos
wolverine989
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For me, when I turned off (disabled) the Armor service on Orbi, the bad buffering on Spectrum TV app stopped on the TCL TVs. I do still get some choppiness on the picture and quality is not as good, but it’s at least watchable now.  I am still getting the same reports of slower connection when I check my connection status through the Roku TV. 22 - 50 MBps. I have tried both wireless and wired.   My internet connection is between 400-500 MBps when I check on my iPHone.

0 Kudos