Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ironbmcginchy
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue and have been experiencing for several weeks. I have a Fios gigabit connection and the buffering problem is only on my TCL 6 series tv, and only with Netflix. All other streaming services work fine on the TCL TV. All services, including Netflix, work without issues on all other devices in the house. 

0 Kudos
MichaelEps

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue that has been going on for two weeks, anyone come up with a solution?  Its only Netflix, all other apps work fine

0 Kudos
wolverine989
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Has anyone gotten any feedback from Roku or Netflix about this.  It seems pretty widespread and something they should be able to easily replicate to see what we are talking about.

0 Kudos
Ironbmcginchy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have switched to another connected device for streaming Netflix at this point but it sure appears that the last Roku software update rendered the Netflix app unusable, unless Netflix is targeting Roku and is specifically throttling bandwidth on these TVs only. Or, these fairly new TVs have been caught in the crossfire with the end of support for "older" Roku devices. 

Chris Heinonen at The Wirecutter has strongly recommended the TCL 6 Series in the past, and as recently as Jan. 16th. This failure is now newsworthy. The other tech blogs should note this as well.  

Streaming Netflix is not a tangential usage for these TVs. If an update isn't pushed soon, that's a shame as they've effectively turned a very nice smart TV into a dumb TV. 

0 Kudos
JD2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’m shocked nothing has been addressed at this point. I have both the TCL and Sharp Roku Tvs so it has to be a built in Roku issue, not a TCL issue,  since both I have are built in Roku TVs. Like users on this post have mentioned, this is widespread and could be easily replicated on their end. If you’re going to have a product that is made to do something and that “something “ doesn’t work right then your product is now defective/useless and your consumer has been taken advantage of. This roku tv has one job, stream. If it’s not able to do that for  the service you have, then it’s useless. Many people may only have 1 steaming service and it could be Netflix. Their tv should work, now it doesn’t.  It’s not their problem, or responsibility to pay for a different service that does, it’s Roku’s problem. Sadly this could prob easily be fixed with a push of a new update or a roll back temporarily to the old version. Very simple Roku, FIX YOUR PROBLEM WITH NETFLIX. Stop ☝🏻👇🏻👆🏻👉🏻 pointing fingers at everything else and turn the finger back at yourself. End of story. 

0 Kudos
jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have just streamed 2 hrs of Netflix on my TCL series 6 and Orbi router (via ethernet) without any buffering.  There haven't been any Roku updates since the last 1/28/2020 one.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The last email I received from TCL (after they told me they would forward the issue to headquarters) was for me to create a new Roku account, perform yet another full reset, and reinstall everything with the new Roku account.  So no, I'm not doing that as I know it's certainly not the issue.  Pretty much at a standstill, 3 companies with terrible CS that simply don't care about their customers at all so long as they are reaping billions in profits.  TCL and Roku are pretty much dead to me at this point, if it wasn't for my kids, I'd cancel Netflix too.

0 Kudos
Scruyffydog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

did you try it on 4k program or just HD?

0 Kudos
pjduck
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Definitely not fixed... 

0 Kudos
amnporter
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For faks sake, I called Netflix. Custermer service says there is a notification about the issue received today. Did some further troubleshooting with them about the affected products. There is currently no resolution. I do, however, encourage others to do the same so they can fix the fahking issue. It's dumb, but at least they may have some data to provide a new release or hotfix. I do not believe this is a Roku issue since the last update from them was in Dec.

0 Kudos