Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derodicus
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku TV and Netflix Buffering

Jump to solution

I have four Roku devices.  Three TCL Roku TVs and one Roku Ultra.  The issue started about two weeks ago.  The only app effected is Netflix as we're not experiencing any issues streaming from any other app including those with 4K content.  We have Spectrum internet service that speed tests at around 750 Mbps.  Our home router is a Netgear Orbi system with two additional satellites for blanket coverage of the house. 

Here are the models we own. 

TCL TVs
7127X

4230X

7101X

Roku Ultra
4670RW

I tried your suggested fix on one TV and the download speed is actually lower now when running the connection test from the Netflix app.  On all of our Roku devices we were getting about 25 Mbps when running the connection test from the Netflix app as suggested by Netflix chat support.  After removing Netflix, restarting the TV from the settings screen then reinstalling the app we're now getting 17 Mbps.  If I remember correctly Netflix chat support stated that 45 Mbps was minimum recommended for 4k content.  For comparison we also own a Samsung smart TV that the Roku Ultra is connected to.  Running the same Netflix connection test I get roughly 120 Mbps from the Samsung TV.  The Roku Ultra that is sitting by the same TV is getting 25 Mbps.  

We greatly appreciate any help you can provide as we are a family of Roku supporters who are extremely frustrated by this situation.  Prior to two weeks we had zero issues with Netflix or any of the other streaming services from the Roku devices which is why they are the standard for streaming devices in our household. 

pjduck
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Exact same issue. Roku 55P605. Has been fine for almost 6 months. All the sudden about a week ago we started experiencing constant buffering with Netflix.

We use Amazon Video, YouTubeTV, and various other streaming apps with no issue (they all look great). 

Connection speed is not the issue. Obviously there is something going on with this Netflix build. 

Very disappointing! 

Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 65R617, Software version is 9.2.0 - Build 4502-30.  No other streaming channels other than Netflix have been affected.  Disney+, Prime, and YouTube all work very well.  I started having the issue about 2 weeks ago.  I have reinstalled Netflix several times and did a full system reset of the Roku TV twice.  Have had zero improvements. 

perryhopeless
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuTannerD 

Answers to your questions below. I look forward to hearing your update on the situation.

> What is the specific model of Roku TV you are experiencing the issue with fromSettings>System>About?

7121X

> Does the same issue with buffering behavior occur in other streaming channels on your device, such as YouTube, Hulu, Disney+ , etc.? 

No, all other streaming channels are perfect. Only Netflix has the problem.

> When did you first observe the issue? 

About two weeks ago, around 1/21/2020

> Have you tried the following steps in order? 1. Remove the Netflix channel 2. Restart your Roku device from Settings>System>System restart 3. Install the Netflix channel again. 

Yes, more than once. Also, for step 2, I did the system restart just as you've described but then also tried the whole process again with an additional unplugging of the tv as well.

Scruyffydog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No matter what we try when we check the Netflix speed it is always at 15-23 MB’s per second    I hooked up a $25 4 k fire stick it refisters 175 MB’s per sec. there is definitely a problem with the app or it’s implementation on newer TCL TVs.    Also having same issue on a 2018 Samsung 4 K tv

Dknox79
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same experience on my TCL Roku tv.  Been using it for over a year, no issues at all.  About 2-3 weeks ago, it started buffering and it's been getting worse.  All other apps works with no issues.  Netflix on all other devices works with no issues.

jlittman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have been having a similar problem with my TCL 65r617. For the past week Neflix programming has been loading slowly and buffering for minutes on end. I have connected the TV via ethernet directly into my modem and the problem still occurs. Also happens with a Roku Ultra and a firestick. I measured my download speed using the same ethernet cable and it is 110Mbps. The netflix app shows a download speed between 16 and 20 Mbps.  Removing and reinstalling the Netflix app did not help. Factory resetting the TV did not help. My cable provider was out yesterday, spent an hour cleaning all connection between the pole and my TV and that did not help. Amazon Prime and Youtube are normal. I have spoken with TCL, Roku, Netflix, Spectrum cable and currently no solution. Streaming to my laptop is fine (2.4G and 30-40 Mbps.) Problem seems to have started with the last Roku update 1/28/2020. Unplugging and turning the modem back on did not help nor did switching out the modem with another(arris touchstone 6183.) My internet provider, Spectrum, claims that they do not throttle.

artfulpanda
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

really looking for a fix here...so very frustrating, will definitely rethink buying roku again

Flonner
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

So after the last email I received from TCL telling me I should contact my ISP and contact Netflix (This is after 7 emails back and forth).  I sent them a rebuttal email once again fully explaining the situation, I also gave them my thoughts on their customer service... They responded that they would be forwarding the concern to their headquarters for futher investigation and would get back to me.  I am really hoping that there is a fix for this soon.

Opie1

Jump to solution

Same issue as described above. Unusable on 2019 TCL TV. Maddening!