Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffrok
Roku Guru

TCL Roku TV and Alexa

Jump to solution

Just added a new TCL TV to the mix (2019 Series 5).. linked it to my Echo, and now when I say "Alexa, volume 10" (for example), it changes the Roku TV volume. Before, with my old TCL TV linked to my Alexa/Echo, I could say "Alexa, volume 10" and it'd change my Echo dot to volume 10.. if I were to say "Alexa, set roku TV volume to 10" it would set the Roku TV volume to 10.. 

Now, the Roku TV is the only volume I can change with voice commands.. 

Is there a secret Alexa command I can use to differentiate the Echo volume and the TCL TV volume?

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: TCL Roku TV and Alexa

Jump to solution

@Michelle3 wrote:

@renojim wrote:

It makes sense to me and I've gone through the same thing at my mother's, but I can't remember if I ever found a solution.

I’m not even sure that there is a solution, and there should be one as long as this issue isn’t experienced/unresolved for a while.

~Jordan

@jeffrok

I have the exact same issue. Once I have Alexa (Echo dot 3rd gen) interact with my Roku TV,  It is as if priority focus is given to the tv. I have been trying to find a solution to this for days. I just purchased my echo dot and it is not uncommon for some in my household to give the command 'Alexa volume up' a couple times before remembering/ being reminded to include '...on Roku'. However, at that point Alexa has adjusted its volume to max and will only modify the TV volume.

《(I highly recommend whisper mode for these instances, as a volume 10 whisper is not bad)》

The only thing that I have come up with so far, that works, is to:

• Say  'Alexa, turn off roku' • Wait about 10 seconds • Use preferred wording to command Alexas volume.

I think the Roku skill may need to assume less priority over the commands, ie. Requiring that 'Roku', or the name given to the device, must be the specified target with the command

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

That literally doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. 😮

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It makes sense to me and I've gone through the same thing at my mother's, but I can't remember if I ever found a solution.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

I’m not even sure that there is a solution, and there should be one as long as this issue isn’t experienced/unresolved for a while.

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X

Jump to solution

@Michelle3 wrote:

@renojim wrote:

~Jordan

@jeffrok

I have the exact same issue. Once I have Alexa (Echo dot 3rd gen) interact with my Roku TV,  It is as if priority focus is given to the tv. I have been trying to find a solution to this for days. I just purchased my echo dot and it is not uncommon for some in my household to give the command 'Alexa volume up' a couple times before remembering/ being reminded to include '...on Roku'. However, at that point Alexa has adjusted its volume to max and will only modify the TV volume.

《(I highly recommend whisper mode for these instances, as a volume 10 whisper is not bad)》

The only thing that I have come up with so far, that works, is to:

• Say  'Alexa, turn off roku' • Wait about 10 seconds • Use preferred wording to command Alexas volume.

I think the Roku skill may need to assume less priority over the commands, ie. Requiring that 'Roku', or the name given to the device, must be the specified target with the command

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Set up Alexa to Roku tv

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @caworek2951,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I understand that you want to know how to set up Alexa on your Roku TV, is that correct?

If yes, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding how to use Alexa on your Roku device How to use Amazon Alexa to control your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
LOLman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is happening to me too now.  I tell alexa to change vol on echo and it changes tv; if I say which echo, then it works. ;(

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@LOLman

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LOLman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I started the Spotify channel on my Tv, and started playing some music, and at the same time my alexa echo speaker was active because I was listening to some news; I asked alexa to lower volume, and the tv's volume started changing. This has not subsided since, even after turning of and on the tv and restarting, the alexa app, as well as rebooting the speaker.

0 Kudos