Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrFatty
Reel Rookie

Re: Update 10.5.0, Build 4201-88 Killed My HDMI..

Jump to solution

Skril:
I should have specified that I'm using a different TV than the one originally stated in the post, I've got a 43S425-CA (so the Canadian 43" Series 4 TCL). This one doesn't support anything like G-Sync, so there's never any G-Sync related options in the Nvidia control panel for it. The core issue seems to be the same, though.

For some added information, I do have a second PC (This one has an Nvidia 1060). I tried hooking it up and the exact same behaviour occurred: 60Hz until I touched Netflix, then it went crazy! In this case, the whole screen turned green and distorted.

If I had to guess at this point, something with the new Roku Update has broken how the TV handshakes with HDCP content. I don't even need to hit "play" in Netflix to have the signal die: Just moving the mouse over the icons will trigger it! I suspect this is because mousing over the icons triggers a preview stream, and Netflix enforces HDCP on those previews, too.

At this point, I'm fairly certain that the error is with the Roku update, as it is the only common change between these two PCs and this setup has worked fine for well over a year now. My only hope is that a patch is released soon that returns proper functionality to the TV.

Edit: I should also note that I've also tried multiple different HDMI cables. At this point, the only common piece of hardware in the chain is the TV, and the only thing that changed with it in the past couple days was the Roku update. So yeah, pretty much eliminated any other source of the problem at this point. 10.5.0 - 4201 has effectively killed the TV's ability to display 60Hz content. 😞

Skril
Streaming Star

Re: Update 10.5.0, Build 4201-88 Killed My HDMI..

Jump to solution

Yeah I tried several HDMI cables as well when it was broken for me.

In my case the TV would get a signal but it was just black. I couldn't use windows-P to switch to my monitor either.

The only way I was able to "fix" it was to disconnect the TV from my PC, then shut down and unplug my PC and leave it off for a minute so that it was completely off. Then I rebooted, and using my monitor I was able to clean the Nvidia drivers and reinstall.

Then the TV would finally again display my PC through HDMI.

But yeah, now there is no ability to enable Gsync, which was working perfectly fine on this TV for a year until this update

0 Kudos
ACBMemphis
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL Roku TV Model 55R635 no longer display signal from PC

Jump to solution

(Original poster here) Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. My solution to this problem was... throw some money at it! I purchased a new 4K extender from Amazon and it worked. Problem solved.

• My old extender was a years-old model from Sabrent that used 2 cables.
  • The new extender is a gofanco that uses a single cable.
  • The new extender was 3x the price, has a built-in IR extender, and supports all sorts of fun acronyms like HDBaseT HDMI 2.0 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR Over CAT6 EDID, 18Gbps, HDCP 2.2.

• In general, I am OK with the Roku OS system being dynamic and Roku updating application software, channels, look and feel, navigation etc. 
  • However, the HDMI port itself is a core function of the TV hardware involving externally connected components! In my opinion, the behavior of HDMI should not be changed, or changed with new TV hardware only, or there should be a rollback option!
0 Kudos
Skril
Streaming Star

Re: SOLVED! Update 10.5.0, Build 4201-88 Killed My HDMI..

Jump to solution

I don't get it... are you saying that the TV only accepts inputs from high-end HDMI cables now?

What exactly changed with the update that forced you to buy a new HDMI cable where before the old one was working fine?

0 Kudos
ACBMemphis
Reel Rookie

Re: SOLVED! Update 10.5.0, Build 4201-88 Killed My HDMI..

Jump to solution

Not the cable, it was the extender box. If you've never seen one, it's basically a box with a HDMI plug on one end and a network jack on the other, it allows you to hide the PC out of sight in a closet and send the signal over an ethernet cable to the TV. The software update stopped the PC from working through the extender. HDMI is just a flaky technology in general (compared to component or composite video). In today's world it's not just sending a signal, it's negotiating, sending EDID digital keys back and forth, and all other sorts of complicated stuff that is very software dependent. I think if you just had a normal cable you'd be OK. But introducing extenders and splitters is not as simple as it was in the analog world. My solution was just to buy a nicer extender that had modern 4K features and newer firmware..

0 Kudos