Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darkbluereef
Level 7

TCL-Roku TV HDMI ports not working

Jump to solution

I purchased a TCL Roku TV one week ago and found that all three HDMI ports did not work. I got in contact with TCL online chat support where we spent 40 minutes and exhausted all options/ suggestions. I then called TCL support  directly, we were on the phone for over two hours trying methods that I would never have thought of (i.e. secret menu, system restart via settings menu, holding the power button down on the back of the TV for 30 seconds, and a host of others). I tried connecting four laptops running windows 10 and one Mac laptops with the same results, all HDMI ports still indicated, "no signal".  I tried another laptop running windows 7 and it worked! In all three HDMI ports!  It was then suggested that I try hooking up my laptops to my older TV, a Sharp Aquos. I found that connecting my laptops to the older TV worked as well.  TCL customer support let me know that they would escalate my issue to their engineers and that they would call me back within 72 hours. it has now been 7 days without a response.  My last option is to bring the TV back to the store (Best Buy) that I purchased it and request an exchange to see if this issue clears itself up in a new, same model, TCL Roku TV.  I am not sure of any other steps to take to resolve this problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TCL-Roku TV HDMI ports not working

Jump to solution

@darkbluereef 

Thanks for the post.

Since this is hardware issue, we would recommend continuing to work and reach out to TCL support, as each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

Otherwise we would recommend return/exchanging your Roku TV through whom you made the purchase with.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TCL-Roku TV HDMI ports not working

Jump to solution

@darkbluereef 

Thanks for the post.

Since this is hardware issue, we would recommend continuing to work and reach out to TCL support, as each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

Otherwise we would recommend return/exchanging your Roku TV through whom you made the purchase with.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
darkbluereef
Level 7

Re: TCL-Roku TV HDMI ports not working SOLUTION!

Jump to solution

After countless hours on the phone and online chat with TCL, along with Googling solutions for days, including posting on this forum I found my fix!  I discovered that I had a directional HDMI cable, Directional HDMI cables are more advanced than regular HDMI cables. This is because they include built-in equalizers, amplification, and filtering. Directional HDMI cables are designed to help carry signals over longer distances. Directional HDMI, however, relay signals in only one direction. With this in mind a simply switched the end of the HDMI cable that was plugged into the TV to the HDMI connection of my computer and vice-versa. Voila! problem solved. Curious as to why, after all this time and effort, that this simple solution was not mentioned. I hope this solution works for those encountering the same issue.

0 Kudos
FATJ775
Level 7

Re: TCL-Roku TV HDMI ports not working SOLUTION!

Jump to solution

HDMI ports don't work and the remote is slow as **bleep**, even after a full reset right about when the warranty ran out,

Thanks,

Never gonna buy a Roku on tv again

0 Kudos