Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TCL Roku TV 55S525 - IR Remote Issue

New TCL Roku TV ( 2-3 weeks old). Remote (Basic IR) suddenly stopped working. Tried removing batteries, replacing batteries etc. Also tried unplugging TV and plugging it back. I can see the IR light coming from the remote. There is nothing blocking the path to the TV. I believe the IR Receiver is at the bottom of the TCL logo. Is there any way to confirm if the IR Receiver is working fine?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: TCL Roku TV 55S525 - IR Remote Issue

Not really, you can prove the tcl remote is working by pressing a key while pointing at cellphone camera, if you see flashes its emitting commands. Do you have another remote say cable or directv remote that control TV's? Having second remote with proper tv code for sure will prove its the tv. Name the remote if you have one and I'll give you a code to try.

Do you have some kind of IR repeater system so you could control components from another room, it could be bombarding it with junk IR signals preventing roku remote from reaching the tv? Or fluorescent lights in the room?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

my remote isn't working. I've tried everything suggested. I've also bought a new remote, and that does not work either. The problem only happens with the actual remotes. If I use my phone app remote....it works 100% of the time, but you cant turn the TV on with the phone app. I just want something that works correctly. Also I can NOT get a hold of anyone on the phone. [personal information removed] Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just placed an order for a new remote but am pretty certain to hit the same issue again as mentioned by the other user. Also my current does emit the IR signal. Do I have to call Roku support or TCL support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Yes roku will have get in touch with TCL for service, there's sticky in the roku tv forum on this site with info.

I wouldn't get another IR remote, just order a wifi remote:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Voice-Remote-Official-Players/dp/B07WVFCKSS/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_6?_encod...

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@cmbender21 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For troubleshooting steps regarding your remote, visit our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku IR (infrared) remote?

If those steps still don't resolve your issue, and you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can view a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is there any sun hitting the back of the TV.  Too much direct sunlight can make the sensor not work properly. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have 3 Roku TCL TV's.  The TV has intermittent success with the remote.  Sometimes you hit the button once.  Or sometimes you have to press a button multiple times for something to happen.  I used the same remote on the other TV's and the remote works fine.  I can also use a remote from another TV one the problem TV and I get the same issue of intermittent.  So it is def something with the TV tried unplugging etc.  Any ideas?  Thx.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ukorplaya 

Thanks for the information.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue. I'll use the remote and sometimes it works perfectly for a few button pushes, but more often it takes several (many!) button pushes to get it to function properly. Something isn't syncing properly in the TV.

0 Kudos