Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TCL Roku Denon no Dolby/DTS 5.1

I know there are other similar posts but those resolutions don’t work for me.

I have a TCL 65R613 Roku TV, 9.2.0 software version. I have it connected via arc hdmi to a Denon S730h Receiver. I receive 5.1 Dolby on Disney+ but not Netflix. In other threads I read maybe the receiver isn’t compatible with DD+ or the SPDIF/ARC isn’t set to auto or DD+ specifically. My receiver is compatible. All of that is set up correctly for me. Any idea why I can’t get 5.1 from Netflix. It never worked for me but just started using this TV with Netflix this month. 

Any input is appreciated. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku Denon no Dolby/DTS 5.1

I am having the same issue with a Hisense R7 Roku TV and Denon s540BT.

Netflix requires ARC to detect DD+ for it to give you 5.1 audio.

AVR is DD+ capable but the TV does not recognize it as such. When you switch the audio mode to force DD+ the sound gets all wonky and fuzzy and doesn't actually play correctly. When ARC is set to auto passthrough it only detects DD (non plus).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That stinks. So, is it an issue with Roku somehow? I might try my Apple TV and see if it Netflix plays 5.1 through that. My TV and AVR support ARC so not sure why it wouldn’t work, especially since other apps work fine. If it’s a Netflix issue, then I’m not sure how anyone gets it to work. Unless it’s the lucky Roku, Netflix, Denon combo platter. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@EZBZOZ @mctrn Thanks for reaching out. A few more questions here to help better understand the issue: 

- Have you tried contacting Denon support to see if they can assist with any configuration or settings changes that may help? We'd also recommend contacting Netflix support to see if they have any other suggestions. Certain playback/streaming quality settings may impact the ability to receive DD+ audio from the channel. 

- Have you double checked that the HDMI ports you are using on both the TV and the receiver are HDMI ARC capable? 

- Are other streaming channels that only offer/deliver Dolby Digital Plus audio playing this audio correctly? Do you see an indicator light up on your A/V receiver indicating this? 

- Have you tried using an S/PDIF optical audio cable to see if Dolby Digital Plus audio plays correctly from Netflix using this connection method?

- In Settings>Audio, Are you selecting 'Auto' for all options that offer this?  

Keep us posted from there and we'll continue seeing how we can further assist. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Level 7

@RokuTannerD 

@EZBZOZ 

Will try to contact denon..

Both ports are Arc capable

I know what I am saying is accurate because when I force DD+ through audio settings (with the wonky audio that doesn't play) the Netflix app will show the 5.1 badge.

When I set it to auto or DD, DTS (which is what auto says it detects) it will not show it and plays 2.0 audio.

I can get 5.1 from Disney plus and HBO go and Roku media player just fine but because the TV detects DD standard I don't see why it wouldn't. TV is just not detecting DD+ capability which I know this model supports and is what Netflix NEEDS to show 5.1

I do not have an spdif cable to check that port at the moment..

thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for your response. I contact Netflix and they said they have heard of the same issues I’m having with Roku/TCL and Netflix with 5.1 not working. Im sure the HDMI cable isn’t the issue since it works fine with Disney+ and I swamped out the cable just to be 100% sure. Disney+ and Apple TV show DD+ fine and it does appear on the AVR as such. I also tried all of the options through SPDIF and optical. No luck. 

I haven’t yet tried playing Netflix through another player like Apple TV yet. That will tell me a lot I’m thinking. 

i was hoping Netflix or Roku would send some type of update to fix this since it is such a hassle. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@EZBZOZ  Thanks for the clarification. 

Another thing I would recommend checking would be to see if you have a Volume Mode enabled while you are streaming Netflix. When you are inside the channel, start to play a content title. When the title is playing, press the * key on your remote. In the menu that appears on the lefthand side of the screen, go through the options and look for 'Volume Mode'. Make sure this is turned off. The use of Volume Modes will limit audio to Stereo only. 

Also, if your Netflix account streaming quality settings are lowered, some lower quality streams may not provide DD+ audio in that instance. 

Try checking those things, and let us know from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos