Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lexikatz
Level 7

TCL ROKU TV Stuck in Infinite Update Loop

Hi all, 

Returned to our apartment after being away for a bit and reconnected our TV to power. None of the apps were working so we unplugged the tv, reset the router and modem. With no success, we did a factory reset and have since been trying to reconnect to wifi. Every time we correctly type the network key "Wireless Connection" and "Internet Connection" appear with green checks instantly, but the screen still has the "Checking..." pop-up. The TV then restarts and we proceed with the same process. We did connect to a mobile hotspot, successfully updated software, but then it tries to reinstall the same update again...continues over and over with no success.We've unplugged all other devices, held the factory reset button on the back of the TV numerous times, and unplugged from the wall outlet with nothing working.  We can even see on our router settings that the TCL ROKU TV is connected and all other devices (phones, laptops etc.) work fine. It must be an issue with the update that is trying to be pushed forcing this infinite loop. Any help much appreciated. 

TCL Model: 55S425. ROKU TV: 7131X

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TCL ROKU TV Stuck in Infinite Update Loop

@lexikatz 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mmarilyn
Level 7

What was the fix for this issue? I am experiencing the exact same thing. Brand new tv right out of the box and unable to update software. I’ve tried resetting, disconnecting and reconnecting power cord and no luck. Tv is connected to internet with a perfect signal and still no luck. Any advice would be much appreciated. I’ll probably just end up returning tv to store if I can’t get it going. Thanks again

lpplau
Level 7

Can you post your solution here so that everyone gets it. It is very common in Roku TV. I got the same with my 1 and 1/2 yr old sharp roku tv..it is in infinity of a reboot universe..non fixable...not a hardware problem bc changing the motherboard or powerboard didnt fix it. It worked before factory reset. The software was badly written. It was mad in Mexico.

0 Kudos
lexikatz
Level 7

We realized that our WiFi system had been shut off and had to be reactivated through the cable network but no one told us. We logged into the cable network website on the back of the router. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mmarilyn @lpplau 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating your Roku TV. Then once your Roku TV has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Skidu1
Level 7

I am having the same problem and have tried the recommended solutions several times.  What else can I do?

0 Kudos
mmarilyn
Level 7

I ended up just returning the tv to the store since it was brand new and nothing helped my situation. Sorry. 

0 Kudos
lpplau
Level 7

The problem is you cant get out of the bootloop. If I can, I wont post this problem here.

If you cant go any further than watching the logo screen and the remote cannot work with the tv, how can you get to the program and reset the internet. 

There is no way to get the Roku model number and Serial number from the screen either bc it won't get out of this insane loop and get to the language start screen after this insane factory reset.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@lpplau 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried first performing a factory reset on the Roku TV?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos