Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FearTheClown
Streaming Star

Re: TCL R635 1440p line issue

On PS5 when VRR is enabled in 120hz mode the screen will flash black every few seconds. It can take a minute or 2 to start doing this but it always does and doesn't stop doing it.

This doesn't occur if you're not in 120hz mode and also if you're in 1440p because the PS5 doesn't currently support VRR at that resolution. You'll have to force it to 1080p with VRR on to duplicate. It is consistent across all games and even occurs in the home screen menu once it starts doing it. I have a ticket with TCL since May, they reached out to tell me they successfully replicated the issue but didn't have a fix or know the cause.

FearTheClown
Streaming Star

Also since you mentioned Xbox... Here's a quirk I've noticed between the 2. You're correct, 1440p mode works fine on Xbox including with VRR. Interestingly though you cannot use HDR in 120hz 1440p on Xbox with this TV. This is supposed to be a bandwidth limitation with HDMI 2.0. Here's where it gets weird though. On PS5 you CAN use 1440p+120hz+HDR and it works fine(once you toggle your way past the line issue).

0 Kudos
Sharingdude
Reel Rookie

Yup very wierd indeed, pretty inconsistent and a bit buggy across the board.

please update this post if you get an official fix from tcl or something else.

cheers ! 

0 Kudos
Sleepwalker77
Binge Watcher

I have found turning off allm and changing your picture option on the tcl out of gaming mode will eliminate the line issue on ps5 for 120 hz

0 Kudos
Coneyparleg
Streaming Star

What are the drawbacks to turning of gaming mode?

0 Kudos
Sleepwalker77
Binge Watcher

you might get input Ladd. I’m not sure that’s an issue at 120hz because I think low fps is what causes input lag

0 Kudos
FearTheClown
Streaming Star

For anyone interested I think the update to 11.5 on the TCL R635 just fixed the PS5 VRR 120hz mode flicker. I just tested it with Horizon and Tiny Tina's and didn't encounter anything except perfect VRR for a few minutes as the TV adjusted itself to match the frame rate.

Test it out! Note you have to force your PS5 to 1080p to use VRR+120hz otherwise your PS5 will stick itself in 1440p and currently PS5 doesn't support VRR at that resolution. You do this in the system settings.

Sleepwalker77
Binge Watcher

Did you need to do anything to update to 11.5 on the tcl? I don’t see the update in my settings.

0 Kudos
FearTheClown
Streaming Star

@Sleepwalker77 I went into the TV settings and did a system update. You'll go a couple levels deep to System Update to force it to go out and look for an update.

0 Kudos
Sleepwalker77
Binge Watcher

Ok got it working. It looks like you can leave allm off in gaming mode now instead of forcing it off in picture mode. Sort of a fix

0 Kudos