Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KOR-reyRen066
Level 9

TCL R625 & Xfinity xI6 Stuttering Issue

Hello,

I am currently having an issue with my Xfinity xI6 streaming box and my 55r625 TCL TV. The issue is stuttering, and it doesn't happen all the time. I notice it on DVR playback, Netflix, and some channels. I've scoured the Xfinity forums as well and some people report this on Xfinity's end. I'm not here to debate that. I've noticed, if I turn Game mode on, it gets rid of my stuttering issues. Every motion interpolation setting only makes it worse, I will add. Here's another tid bit...I have almost zero issues when streaming natively through the native Xfinity Stream Beta App or any other native app for that fact. So, I'm thinking the issue lies within my Xfinity xI6 box? It seems like the box is trying to hard to do the upscaling or something? It also helps if I set the box to 720p, but still isn't perfect. I should be able to set the box at it's highest resolution, without issues. One last thing I notice as well, is the picture quality isn't even on par with the native Xfinity Stream App as well. So not only is it framerate issues, but PQ as well. I also purchased a new high speed HDMI cable as well, to narrow down the issue. Anyways, this issue has been driving me nuts. I'm about to get rid of the box due to this, but I'm looking for input. Thanks a lot. 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CanisC
Level 7

Re: TCL R625 & Xfinity xI6 Stuttering Issue

Xfinity installation tech here,

I would check the connection strength between your Xi6 and Gateway first. Is the Xi6 being used for an IP only plan, or is it an additional outlet with a 4k Primary X1 DVR? Worse, are you trying to use the Xi6 in 4k mode with an HD DVR or XG2 (non DVR)? Playback issues with the Xi6 are often tied to throughput from the gateway, or a bottleneck between the gateway and your XG devices on the Moca network.

You may have better connection to the Roku for native apps if it is farther from the gateway and the Roku is connecting to a 2.4Ghz network, while the Xi6 prefers the 5Ghz network, even if it is weaker. Rule of thumb is that 2.4 goes further, but slower; 5 goes faster but not as far. If you have a modern XFi Gateway (XB3 or XB6) and set it up recently, the 2.4 and 5 networks may have the same name to take advantage of "band steering" which tries to match your devices to the better network based on each situation.

0 Kudos
KOR-reyRen066
Level 9

The xI6 is hardwired to my X-FI modem via Ethernet cable. They are literally sitting right next to each other as well. I brought the modem to my bedroom just to see if it was a connection issue. It wasn't. I tried both LAN and Wifi....issue still persisted. I tried every reset in the world too.

I have an x1 double play package with 3 set top boxes. Two are 4k boxes. One being the xg1v4, and the other being the xI6. The third is a regular HD box. All boxes are set to their highest resolution. 4k60p for the two 4k boxes, and 1080p for the one that isn't. The issue was only present on the xI6. What is strange, is this issue seems to have fixed itself. There are still bugs in this box, but I've noticed much less issues. The box at least doesn't stutter and skip every few seconds like it did. My bet is an update came out on the firmware, but I honestly don't care enough to go looking into that. 

My conclusion is the xI6 just isn't a very good box. It has very poor upscaling and image quality, when compared to what my budget TV can do thru native apps. When set to 4k, these set top boxes have a very noticeable reduction in image quality. If set to 720p or 1080p, the image is much more cleaner, clearer, and accurate. 

I just want to say, I appreciate your input! Most of everything you suggested, I've tried or narrowed down, to not be the issue. It's really bothering when something doesn't work right, that should. It's also really weird when issues magically fix themselves. It does tell me something tho...the issue is with Xfinity and their hardware. They've known about these issues for awhile now, and I'm hardly the first to report it.

0 Kudos
CanisC
Level 7

(At this point I should throw out the standard, "I work for them, but I don't represent the brand or company.")

I'm glad the issue is getting better, it does sound like a software issue. The Xi6 is one of the newest boxes, and they are still making improvements and hunting bugs. I started installations 6 years ago, when the X-1 system first launched. It was a rough start, to put it kindly... Hopefully I can say this without being put off as a corporate shill (I'm actually employed by a subcontractor) or saying too much and bringing down the wrath of the corporate gods upon me. Other issues aside, Xfinity has always been trying to make constant improvements to the software experience. But like any current piece of live tech, it is constant beta testing. If they didn't release it until it was perfect, they would still be stuck at 720p boxes, and they would still have issues after release. The thing I wish I could say to  everyone who says they pay so much, so it should be perfect, is that they pay for the cutting edge, so it will never be perfect, but it's better than last month. 

0 Kudos