Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

TCL R625 HDR & Dolby Vision Flicker(In some content)

I'm just posting this as an awareness effort, and also looking for some support. I have a 55r625, and while viewing certain content, mainly HDR & Dolby Vision the flicker is very noticeable. This isn't as much of an issue when I turn down the TV brightness to Dark or Darker, but this crushes black levels. I use HDR Dark mode, with the Brightest setting for watching HDR content. Natural Cinema turned on. I am very pleased with this TV, but there is black crush in HDR, unless the brightest setting is used. There's also a clear motion interpolation issue as well, when using "Action Smoothing". I understand that there's always artifacts caused by this, but it cannot keep up on this TV, and just needs some help in the firmware department. (I haven't seen a TV that doesn't tbh) I'm just curious if others are experiencing the same issues? I have almost no issues with SDR content, and everything looks great there. I understand HDR is a newer technology incorporated into the TV'S... I'm a technically inclined person, and realize this is always evolving in this process. So, I am trying to help in this process. Hopefully, this info is useful. Thanks as always! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: TCL R625 HDR & Dolby Vision Flicker(In some content)

Lots of people having this issue and I also believe it's related to the firmware. 

Highlighted

True, true. I've seen my fair share of complaints as well. It's sad when every time I turn on my TV.....I go to check for firmware updates first..... that's a problem. I have noticed that some of the issues are related to using "natural cinema". If I use it, it makes the flickering more noticeable. With it off, there's less issues. I'm still kind of at a loss when it comes to when to use "natural cinema". It's designed for 24p content as a Judder reduction. Is this just for physical media like Blu-rays, etc...or should it be used for things like Netflix, cable boxes etc? It's a little confusing when to and not to use it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

How do we update the firmware or wherever can update it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Try to add a speaker that forced a software update for my tv. 
0 Kudos