Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sharmasds
Level 8

TCL 8 Series - Soundbar Issues

Hi, I have a 75 inch TCL 8 series TV connected to a Vizio SB46514 soundbar via HDMI arc. Initially the audio worked fine.  However, after the software update to OS 9.4 about a week ago, I have been having audio issues. The audio will cut out for a second or two every couple of minutes, and then at other times the audio will completely cut out until I turn the soundbar off and on again. If I use the optical audio connection, I have no issue.  If I use the TV speakers, I have no issue. If I use HDMI and uncheck eArc (via the 9.4 update) box, I have no issues.  However, if this is unchecked, I cannot receive Dolby atmos content. I tried a complete factory reset, but this did not do anything.

I also have a 65 inch TCL 8 series TV. The soundbar works without any issue on this TV.  So this tells me that there is a specific issue with eArc on my 75 inch TV. Has anyone had any soundbar audio issues on their TV since the OS 9.4 update?

13 Replies
bibdur
Level 7

Re: TCL 8 Series - Soundbar Issues

I have the same issue. Sound from tvl 75” 8 series to Vizio soundbar via arc worked fine. Then one day it went silent. I spent easily an hour on the phone with TCl support and did a while bunch of steps but nothing worked. Waiting for them to get back to me. But I am losing patience and may demand that they pick up the tv and guve me a refund. 

0 Kudos
Sharmasds
Level 8

Yep, I'm waiting for TCL to get back to me as well. I've called, emailed, and tweeted them. They've been slow in responding. When I spoke with them over the phone, they suggested the possibility of sending out a tech to swap out the HDMI connection board on the TV.  I'm willing to try anything, but they've gone silent on me.  I'll keep bugging them. It's a shame because the overall picture quality and feature set of the TV is really good.  Just wished it worked the way it should.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
bibdur
Level 7

Thanks for the reply. I’m sure there are plenty of others who have this problem. You’re right that the picture is great. But for a set like this at the price that it costs the audio/atmos functioning is a must have. 

0 Kudos
Gyasiman
Level 7

Wow I thought I was the only one. I’m having the EXACT same issue. Every couple of minutes the the audio will cut out of the sound bar. For me it’s happening about every 30secs. It’s borderline unusable. 

Really sucks because now there’s no way I can watch my Dolby Atmos content. 

0 Kudos
bibdur
Level 7

Sorry to hear that. Really disappointed in TCL- Roku. They won’t stand by their product. Every time I call, they claim that their software engineers are working on it and will call me back in 48 hours. They never do. They won’t say when it will be fixed. I asked for refund and they refused. So they sell faulty prosucts and take our money. It’s criminal. I will never buy TCL or Roku again. I make a point of issuing bad reviews on all their products on multiple web sites. 

0 Kudos
Sharmasds
Level 8

I have a technician coming over this weekend. I think they will be swapping out the hdmi board.  We'll see if that makes a difference. In the meanwhile, my soundbar has another HDMI input. So I got an HDMI switch and am running my xfinity box, XBOX One, and an Amazon Firestick 4K through the soundbar input.  It's not ideal, but I'm getting atmos content through the firestick and XBOX. Kind of defeats the purpose of the built-in Roku interface though. All in all, just disappointing.

0 Kudos
Sharmasds
Level 8

Yes, their customer service is slooooow.  Professional reviews have this TV rated pretty well, especially against the big brands, at a fraction of the price.  But when simple things don't work, it's just not worth it.  

0 Kudos
Petro1
Level 7

Yes, I have the same problem.  I have done everything I know (CEC, New HDMI, Reset TV, etc) nothing works.  Is TCL customer service responsive to this issue?

0 Kudos
Sharmasds
Level 8

They reply, but they are slow to respond. A service tech actually came to fix the TV yesterday.  They replaced the mainboard, and the TV speakers. For about 10 minutes things seemed to be working okay, but then the issue appeared and continues.  In my case, it seems like the software update to eArc is not playing nice with my TV/soundbar.  I sent TCL an email letting them know the fix did not work.  I think they called me today, but I missed the call.  I will try to follow up tomorrow.  I don't really know what the next step would be, except to replace the TV.