Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayman16
Reel Rookie

TCL 65R625 Random Reboots

Jump to solution

Hey all,

I've had no 6 Series 65" for 14 months and for the last 6 months or so it will just reboot. A full reboot that takes minutes to come back. I believe it only happens when using the HDMI ports (My Xbox or PS), I don't think it happens using native apps. The TV is update to date and I haven't had any other issues or seen this on any of my other 6 TCL TVs. I even swapped out the HDMI cord for a new 2.2 one that came with the Xbox Series X and it happened within 5 mins. 

I have reached out to TCL as well for support.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
toto456

Re: TCL 65R625 Random Reboots

Jump to solution

Hey there. I have been having the reboot problem as well. Been a couple of months at most. You can clear cache. And it helps. A lot. The procedure for this is. Hit HOME 5 times. UP once. REWIND twice. Then FAST FORWARD twice. This will clear cache. The TV reboots itself. No need for factory resets. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jayman16 wrote: The TV is up to date

I would do a settings>system>advanced>factory reset, but during the initial setup, tell it you don't have internet. This will install the unupdated version of the software (the system>about page will still say you have whatever version you reset from. But, I think that's just sloppy programming not clearing the field. I can confirm that it's a very different version. My antenna tv went back to how it used to be a few months ago).

Then see how your HDMI devices work. If they still don't work, it must be a hardware problem(?). There's a lot of youtube videos about people fixing these tvs using parts available on eBay & Amazon. Roku TV seems problematic because (it appears) there's an anarchy of hardware out there (brands, models, revisions of components in models). Roku isn't testing their updates against all this. So, people find themselves broken with odd problems other people don't have. The only logical explanation is that some people have a revision of a board/chipset that others don't have. It's like the Microsoft environment where "compatibility" is a vital topic. Unfortunately we don't have any insight into this with Roku TV. Nor can you run the previous version of OS like you can with MS.

Anyway, I think that network-less (non-updated) initial install would be the first thing to try. That should narrow it down to whether it's hardware or an update. (Your home>settings>system>system-update screen will tell you when it was last updated. If the problem began then, that might tell you what to expect from the network-less reset.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
jmpickrell

Jump to solution

I have the 75R635 and can confirm that mine is behaving the same way.  Randomly does a complete reboot and it seems to be with anything connected to the HDMI ports.  (Xbox, Apple TV, Sonos Arc)  It's wildly ridiculous but is pushing me to return the TV to BB and just go with a different brand TV that isn't a Roku product.  It's disappointing because the TV has a fantastic picture but I didn't purchase it to have the software ruin the experience because it's so ridiculously full of bugs that Roku, apparently, has zero desire to address.  If you look through the forums this has been a consistent issue for something like 4-8 weeks with Roku being totally silent to all the complaints.  It became especially prominent since the last update (I think it's 9.4 or something like that.)  

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jmpickrell wrote: ... is pushing me to return the TV to BB and just go with a different brand TV that isn't a Roku product.  It's disappointing because the TV has a fantastic picture ...

I think the history of problems amplified by Roku's disengagement from customer support should lead to the conclusion that returning the tv while you can is the smart move. You don't know what else will happen (with the next Mad Hatter update). It's like being a member of the herd. Eventually you'll be on the outside edge of the group, and taken out by the predator (Roku). Forgotten about, left to suffer your fate. No hope of a fix.

But, on the other hand, if you really like the TV (and it's just tne Rokuku-ness), you might consider doing a factory reset. Tell the initial setup you don't have internet. If that fixes the problem, just use the tv to stream through an external box. More plug-n-play control over your environment (not "all your eggs in one basket" which I'm now wary of. I'd feel concerned about any tv, with any special/burdened OS). I'm liking the idea of a tv as a tv, a streaming box as a streaming box. Limit my exposure to the kukus. Choices.

If you're not digging the idea of multiple remotes. The URC-7935 universal/learning remote (3 device) is simple like the Roku remote. If you want a number keypad for an external DTV tuner, the URC-7880 is 8 device. They're learnable, so if a device isn't supported by the library of devices that can be accessed by a code, you can teach it to control a device using the other device's remote. I've got the 7935 on the way to use with a Firestick Lite (and the Roku internal DTV tuner). Hopefully this will be as nice as I hope it will.

If this works well enough for you, your tv would forever be a dumb tv. Never touched by Roku's untested updates. I think that could be a reasonable solution if a tv otherwise works well. Especially if it's past the return window to the retailer. But, even so, you might like it enough to keep it that way. Worth thinking about.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
toto456

Jump to solution

Hey there. I have been having the reboot problem as well. Been a couple of months at most. You can clear cache. And it helps. A lot. The procedure for this is. Hit HOME 5 times. UP once. REWIND twice. Then FAST FORWARD twice. This will clear cache. The TV reboots itself. No need for factory resets. Hope this helps.

jayman16
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply!

0 Kudos
mddrudge
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I continue to have this issue, despite clearing the cache. It has already happened twice in October and it is annoying to have to go through the entire set up procedure and re-scan of channels. In light of all of the complaints I have seen on this issue, and TCL's lack of response to address this issue, perhaps it is time for a class action ___ ____.

**Interesting! TCL prevented me from including those words in my post in my post!**

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 12-39-16 TCL 65R625 Random Reboots.png

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @mddrudge,

Thanks for reaching out.

We're sorry to hear about this. Could you tell us how long and when you started seeing this issue occur? Does the reboot behavior happen every time, and does this affect when accessing all the streaming channels?

Please tell us more about this so we can further investigate it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos