Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Couzzjo
Level 7

TCL 6 series YouTube App not working

Jump to solution

YouTube app is not working.  I update the TV OS and apps.  YouTube opens and when I click the video it goes black and nothing happens.  

I have restarted the system after removing App.  Then reinstall the app and it will does not work.  Netflix works

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scottlaw75
Level 8

Re: TCL 6 series YouTube App not working since last OS update

Jump to solution

Here is how I finally fixed the issue.  I deleted the YouTube channel, rebooted the TV (using the Reset Network Connection in settings), then reinstalled the YouTube channel and it works now.  I guess simply deleting and reinstalling from the TV was not enough without the TV reboot in between; I am guessing it needs to wipe from memory during the reboot?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Quigs10
Level 7

Re: TCL 6 series YouTube App not working

Jump to solution

same exact thing here in so calif.  last 2 hours. No Youtube or Youtube TV. "Playback error". Have rebooted Sharp Roku TV and unplugged it and restarted as well. Nothing.

My other tvs that are NOT Roku work fine. So..... hmmmmm

Quigs10
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yep, my Netflix and Showtime/HBO all work fine. But not Youtube on Roku tv but it works on my Samsung tv.

ccl1973
Level 7

Jump to solution

Anyone find a fix for this?  Brand new TCL out of the box and YouTube is black screen 

Scottlaw75
Level 8

TCL 6 series YouTube App not working since last OS update

Jump to solution

I am using the TCL R625 Tv as well and ever since the HBOMAX update time (not saying that app broke it but the update that occurred about that time) the youtube app no longer launches.  It shows a splash screen and then dumps you right back out to the home screen.  I deleted and reinstalled the app hoping that would force and update to no avail.  I also rebooted the TV etc.  All other apps are fine except for the YouTube app.  Our kids are pretty bummed it does not work and as a parent suffering through their youtube choices, I admittedly have mixed emotions about it not working haha, but ultimately, it needs to be working.  Please fix.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Scottlaw75
Level 8

Jump to solution

Here is how I finally fixed the issue.  I deleted the YouTube channel, rebooted the TV (using the Reset Network Connection in settings), then reinstalled the YouTube channel and it works now.  I guess simply deleting and reinstalling from the TV was not enough without the TV reboot in between; I am guessing it needs to wipe from memory during the reboot?

View solution in original post

Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@Scottlaw75 wrote:

not enough without the TV reboot in between; I am guessing it needs to wipe from memory during the reboot?

Did you use power off (or unplug) the tv to reboot? Or, did you use the menu option Home>Settings>System>Power to restart the tv? I've seen a couple posts saying the menu worked to fix a different problem, when merely powering off didn't. I wanted to stress that, in case you used the menu option. It's not something most people would look for when hearing "reboot." (I would reach for the power-off button like it were my laptop. I didn't learn of the menu restart option until a week ago. Apparently it does something more than a power off.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Scottlaw75
Level 8

Jump to solution

Going from memory here but I think I actually used the Reset Network Connection as that performs a reboot of the TV as well?  I always had trouble finding an actual simple TV reboot setting; usually I see factory reset and I never want to do that unless all hope is lost.  Apologies if the terms I used were not exactly accurate.  I was going from my (increasingly failing) memory.  haha

EDIT:  I edited my "solution" to reflect that I used the Reset Network Connection in settings.

Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@Scottlaw75 wrote:

Going from memory here but I think I actually used the Reset Network Connection as that performs a reboot of the TV as well?  I always had trouble finding an actual simple TV reboot setting; usually I see factory reset and I never want to do that unless all hope is lost.  Apologies if the terms I used were not exactly accurate.  I was going from my (increasingly failing) memory.  haha

Yes, it's confusing. There's factory & network connection resets under system>advanced. There's power reset under system>power. (There's no network reset under settings>network which would be easier to access, and settings>system>advanced. Where a system restart might make sense as a lessor option to factory reset, and people might not look to the system>power mention thinking there's anything like that there.). It doesn't really guide you to what you should use under what circumstance.

Then there's the reset button on the back of the tv. Then there's power-off & unplug which people do. I was thinking maybe Roku detects loss of power, and performs a power reset when the tv turns on again. But, I've seen a couple posts say the power reset menu option fixed a problem when power off & unplug didn't.

I don't think the menu's network reset does the same thing as a power reset (from the power menu). It wouldn't make sense to have two things do the same thing, although you never know. My guess is, if a network reset fixed your problem with the youtube app, your problem must have had something to do with the network. Probably a menu power restart would have done it too (but a larger reset).

I just wanted to clarify it because someone with the same problem might not know which "reboot" option to do. There's so many discussed here.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.